Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sniksoh

bleeding minnow

Doll eyes like you were using will make noise and attract bass, and cause the fly to float. That small should not be a problem. Tie some with weight and eyes and with out. Looking forward to see what you come up with.

what if i put the bead on and then glue the eyes to the bead so it will have weight and eyes and also drift downwards???

another problem is that i am running out of black maraboue!!! eeek!!!

great plan, but try to glue the eyes to a bit of dubbing just before the bead. It will hold better. Or on the chenille. Remember fishes eyes are not at the very front of there head. Got a yellow permanent marker, colour an eye and have a look at it. it might be streaked a bit, but let it dry good it will be OK. I think yellow doll eyes are better in fresh water, and that the plain white actually turn fish off. Even red to go with your pattern

HOLY CRAP!!! i took this fly fishing today and the largemouths killed it!!!

i had 4 good largemouths by the end of the day. i hooked into a 5th one, it was a hog!!!he ended up winning the battle and taking the fly with him though, but ill be tying alot more of this fly.

The rookie catagory is only for guys that have been tying less than 1 year, so theres usually not very many guys in that catagory, so your chances would be better than you would think ;)

The nice thing about the contest is that it will give you a reason to keep on trying, if you win that is a bonus.

I joined last year and started tying then, the support from everyone and the fellowship here is what keeps us all going.

Everyone is a Rookie at something

A catagory winner already, "The bass wanted a trophy fly"

uh oh!!! i just ran out of black marabou!!! now what??? CRAP???

Be resourceful if black is the colour try a different material, yarn, bucktail, hackle .Switch to a different colour, olive, brown

Awesome tie... kudos to you and to the board members who helped and encouaraged you along.

So glad that you had such good luck with it... and if you're going to lose a fly, it sure feels better to do so to a huge fish than to a tree!

A few strands of black ostrich herl, rabbit fur or strip, hackles, fox fur. I am not good at dyeing materials, but you could die a different colour black. As far as the contest goes, you will enjoy it

im gonna post a message in the "tying bench" called "dying marabou".

if anyone has advise please post it on there.