Fly Tying
colbyjack

just another guy getting into fly tying....

well a buddy took me panfishing the other day. we caught 58 nice size gills and 1 LM bass. he tied up some wet flies and that was the bait of choice. since last week ive been itching to get into fly tying. i went out and bought a cd-rom book on how to tie. next i have alot of reading to do here. so much good info, and im glad i stumbled upon this site. id like to thank all you long term members for the good info you've posted.

i have never tied a fly before and have no tools or gear. before i start asking a ton of questions. im going to search this begineer section. alot of good reads here. if anyone would like to chime in and link me or give a newbee some pointers feel free. just bare with me if i ask questions that has been answered a millon times. like i said ive never tied and have no gear. ive been searching cabelas and basspro's kits. if any one has better sites or online fly shops to buy gear please point me over there.

im in the midwest, ia/il border and im having a hard time finding a tying class. i may be looking in all the wrong places. but gander mountain usually has one but the kid there told me they were done doing that.

NE ia has some trout, but the flies im looking to tie will be wet flies. mainly looking to go after panfish in our lakes and canals.

well im off to start searching the site. thanks again for all the info on this site. -colbyjack

Welcome CJ to the site nad feel free to ask any question!!! if you need one gill fly try the red fox squirrel nymph!!! you can find ia step by step at hatches mag in the may issue!!!!

i am a begginer to...a good website that helped me was www.flyanglersonline.com. it has a bunch of fly tying stuff to help out begginers. also this site (www.flytyingforum.com) is THE best place for begginers.the people here have helped me a ton. now i get better and better every day because of this site and the people on it.

i live in iowa, and one of the best shops i go to for fly tying supplies is sportmans warehouse. there should be one near you because they are all over the country.

i also fish for panfish. one of the best wet flies that i have fished is the bloody butcher.(a made up pattern, not found on the internet)

here are the materials used to tie it:

hook: mustad 3906 wet nymph hook size 10

thread: black 8/0 thread

body: red floss

hackle: black saddle hackle

and thats it!!! try it. if u want me to post a pic just tell me and i will.pm me if u want the step by step instructions.

as far as the online shops go...try ebay. i have gotten alot of fly tying stuff on there and it all works great!

-nathan-

lol yep found it...lol

sure post a pic, any help and instructions will help.

i just bought a desk today that im going to use for a tying table. going right in the living room. the wife says i got to keep it looking clean so if her friends come over....... :)

so what ya think good tools now and material later? or big material kit and buy just a few of the must have tools?? -chris

bloody butcher

post-4850-1151814466_thumb.jpg

sorry, the pic is kind of blurry

materials:

hook: mustad 3906 wet nymph hook size 10

thread: black 8/0 thread

body: red floss

hackle: black saddle hackle

step by step instructions:

1) tie the thread down the hook shank.

2) tie in red floss.

3) tie in black saddle hackle.

4) rap the thread forward to the hook eye.

5) rap the floss forward and tie down with the thread.

6) rap the hackle forward (evenly spaced) and also tie down with the thread.

7) make a head with the thread.

8) whip finish and wala!!!

just try it!!!!

tell me if there is any problems when tying this fly.

tools u have to have:

bobbin

scissors

hackle pliars

vice

tools u should have but dont need:

bobbin threader

bodkin

whip finisher

hackle guage

bobbin hanger

when i first started out i bought a kit with materials, a book, and the esential tools. some people will debate on this and say kits are bad to use but for 16 bucks on ebay who could pass that up!!! :dunno:

as far as the materials go...i would suggest picking one fly every week, buy the materials, and tie the heck out of it!!!and after about a month or two u should have alot of the materials u need.

also if u have a friend that ties flies u could ask them for little samples of the materials u need and then tie a couple of flies with that.

what me and my friend do is TRADE!!!thay give me a little of this, i give them a little of that, and so on.

if u have anymore questions just ask.

P.S. nice panfish in that pic! is that a red ear???

Hi Jack. Welcome aboard.

I'm a beginner too. There are a lot of very talented people that are very willing to share what they know.

I'm down here in Muscatine.

I think you are talking about the Davenport Gander Mountain. You need to call and find out when

Gary works. He works about two days a week. He used to teach the class you were talking about.

He also taught a fly fishing class. He is definitely the man to talk to.

As far as a place to buy materials. I buy almost all my materials on line as there is nothing available

locally. Here are some I use:

Jstockard the sponsor of this sight. You can find a link to them on every page. The prices are very

good and the service is top notch. If you get them your order before 2:00 pm eastern it will

usually ship that day. James doesn"t mind answering questions either. Always my first choice.

Feather-craft. Higher priced than Jstockard for sure. They do in many places have a wider selection

when you need that hard to find item. I don't have any complaints on thir service but I don't think

they are as fast as stockard.

Hook and hackle. I have done a lot of business with them in the past. They have the lowest prices.

They have recently changed hands and I cannot vouch for the service under the new ownership. I hope this helps.

Tom

yeah its a red ear we caught monday. a buddy of mine tied these jigs/flys 1/80 oz and some feathers. it worked awesome. 58 and a bass. since then im hooked. i want to tie and get set up soon as possible. my buddy is learning too. having trouble finding classes in the davenport, ia area. not to many fly material places im aware of either. im going at this blind.

ive found the videos here that shows the guy tying is a great help. cause since ive never done this at least i can see how its done. the visual is better than a book for me. i hope to find a few in my area that can help out and show me how to tie. when i get my gear this week ill try to tie it. thanks for sharing. -chris

For help in the Davenport area go to the Hawkeye Fly Fishing Association web sight. There is a

Quad City chapter that gets together the 1st and 3rd sunday at the Riverdale fire house. They mostly

get together and tie flies.

That web sight will give you a local phone number. It also has some good blue gill patterns. I have had good luck with the pus bug. I have not got up to a meeting yet but I hope to next month. I think they

do away with the 3rd sunday meeting in the summer because they are too busy fishing.

Other places for materials are:

Fin & Feather in Iowa City. I think they have slightly more than Gander Mountain.

On line:

Cabelas has very fast service. I have always been satisfied there.

Anything more I can do pm me. Maybe one of these days we can get together and tie a little. :)

Tom

Welcome to the forum. Listen to what these guys have to say, because they know what they're talking about. (Well, most of 'em anyway. ;) ) Feel free to ask any questions, and remember, no question is to basic or simple.

~Bryce

COOL THANKS GUYS!! hey if ya go to a QC chapter meeting email me or PM me. ill head out there. im down your way alot i fish odessea all the time. my uncle lives on the lake in one of those lil cabins. thanks for all the info guys.

ill try to get ahold of that guy at gander mountain, maybe he can show me how to make a basic fly so i can learn the knots and how to layer the materials and all that good stuff. -chris

Chris - when you get to Odessa you're in my back yard. Give me a call. I'll show you all I know about fly tying. I know even more about tying flies than I know about women.

It'll take about 3 minutes. :hyst: