Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
field989

i dont think this is good...

today i was tying a fly and i seen a little grub looking thing not very big maybe a cm long

it was on my hackle cape

after i seen this i immedately put the cape in the freezer in a plastic bag

did i do the right thing... what was this little grub thing

Thanks

Jeff

i wouldnt know about the hackle...but that grub was probobly a baby fly.wich means your hackle cape is probably infested with fly eggs! and there will be alot more grubs on it in the future!

mabe the freezer was a good idea...i dont think the eggs will hatch if they are frozen.

good luck!!!

Good Day,

O.K. ... good first step perhaps.

I would remove it from the fridge and give it a good looking over outside on a bright sunny day perhaps with a magnifying glass...

If you see anything hinky, I hate to say the best thing to do may be to throw it out.

Freezing will not kill the eggs. They could be any number of insects However, if you did spend a bit of money on it and want to try to salvage your purchase there are few things you can try:

Microwave: Microwave the skin several times for short periods such as 30-45 seconds so as not to damage the structure of the feather. Let sit and cool between heating for about a minute or so. Repeat as many as ten times. Freeze, repeat.

Washing: I know of a few gents who have washed their skins in warm to hot water with a detergent like dish soap or woolite. Carefully blow dry.

Moth Balls/Cedar: I would suggest placing moth balls or cedar in with any natural materials you have as a preventative measure. I have been using moth balls for nearly twenty years with no problem. And the fish still like my flies.

Another thought, where did you purchase the skin in question? If from a local retailer I would at least tell them about the situation as it could put their entire stock at risk.

Hopefully this skin was sealed alone and to itself, not loose with other skins. If loose with other skins it is very possible that the infestation has already spread but has yet to show itself.

Good luck, and again, if it looks hinky, just throw it out.

Steelie

well it doesnt look like a fly......

i bought it from cabelas

i really dont wanan throw it out cause its the only hackle i got....

maybe ill try the micro wave thing

thanks for the info

Keep it separate from all other supplies. I bag all of my necks seperatelly. this will help to minimize infestation. also watch for shake in the bags if you have crumbs in the bottom of a bag you might have a bug problem. deer tails are the worst for bugs if you ask me always look them over good and freeze them often!!!!

Have a look through the rest of your stuff. You might think I am nuts but urinal cakes work just as good if not better than moth balls. They are made of the same chemical, just stronger. Tear open a small corner then gradually over time open the bag a bit more. It is hard to say what that bug was, but it is better safe then sorry. Steelie gave you top notch advice as did Day 5. Once you have done these things and are still a bit weary you could pluck and size your cape and keep the feathers with mothballs or moth ball crystals in an airtight container.

I have a couple urinal cakes around, and keep the majority of my fur and feathers in air tight containers with a moth ball or two in each container.