Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Joe Hard

Cork head, cork heads

My freinds girl makes wine. I asked her what does she do with the corks, she said she throws them away. Here is what they look like

IPB Image

The popper beside is a size 6

I dont know if she went in the house and got a new one or if it came out of a bottle. I have never used cork this size and need a little advice on what to do with these things. She said she will save them for me. I cant see a bulk bag being that expensive. I was wondering if it is the same as a dremmel and foam blocks, to shape. Any advice on how to paint or glue to a hook? I was thinking that size would be great for saltwater and pike

Funny you bring this up. I use wine bottle corks for drying flies and recently I have begun mounting flies on them for gifts. I believe that fly tyers are the worlds biggest recyclers. Joe she makes that wine?

Same here.. dremel with sanding drum then emery board. You can use the "plastic" corks too. I recommend doing this in a room where your signifcant other seldom treads because the dust kicked up by the dremel goes everywhere.