Fly Tying
colbyjack

my first 2 flies ive tied

well couldnt wait got my stuff set up today. went to fin and feather in iowa city, iowa. the guy was helpful. helped me pick out some basics. showed me how to do a whip finish and a few basics. so i got home and gave it a try. here is the first fly i ever tied.

IPB Image

IPB Image

and heres my second fly i tied right after that one.

IPB Image

IPB Image

what ya all think of my first couple of flies ive tied? now lets see if they catch any fish....:)

the guy at fin and feather said hes going to have a class. i gave him my email i hope he has it soon. i want to learn how to make some really neat ones. -chris

Nice first ties!!!! do not ever loose them!!!! mine are long gone and id love to get them back!!!! Now next independence day Tie 2 more and re post your pics!!!!

Not bad for your first tie's! Good luck on catching something!

BFR

Man, that first one looks wicked wicked buggy. The second one is a fine effort too!! NICE FIRST ATTEMPTS! My first attempt looked like a hacked up puff ball, as all I did was wrap chenille around a hook.......and then tried to trim it!!! Well done, welcome to the wonderful, sick world of tying!!! With a base like those and a few lessons you will be well on your way. By the way, those will catch fish!-James D TB7

well done mate a hell of a lot better than my first flys love the first one sure it would catch trout over here hell id even buy one if i saw it in a shop keep posting them be interesting to see how you develope your own style its a downward spiral from here (do i really need another cape)

mcfluffchucker

a cave in scotland

well done mate a hell of a lot better than my first flys love the first one sure it would catch trout over here hell id even buy one if i saw it in a shop keep posting them be interesting to see how you develope your own style its a downward spiral from here (do i really need another cape)

mcfluffchucker

a cave in scotland

No you do not need a nother cape......... you really need 4 more

No you do not need a nother cape......... you really need 4 more

too late i just bought another six i need

:help:

mcfluffchucker the mad

a cave in scotland

===================================================================

float tubing for marlin not one of my best ideas

Nice flies! I bet the gills will be all over them!

I agree with D5. Save them and look back in awhile to see the how you are doing. It is pretty wild feeling you get when you do.

So go tie a few more of what you just did and then hit the water!!!

Chris I was just up to Fin & Feather yesterday and yes they are very helpful. That is where I got my

first two fly reels. I am looking forward to getting together and doing some tying one of these days.

Those are a couple pretty nice first flys.

Tom

Not bad. You'll be surprised at just how fast you can develope your skillz. Keep those 2 somewhere special and take a look at them in say a year. I kept my first 5, and look back at them once in a while to see where I started from. I'm gonna frame them at some point down the road.

Not bad. Like the others have mentioned, be sure to save them.

There's a couple of books that have been helpful to me as I learn to tie that you might enjoy as well:

Fly Tying Made Clear and Simple by Skip Morris

Fly Tying for Beginners by Peter Gathercole

Mike

Cadillac, MI