Fly Tying

post-3247-1152143132_thumb.jpg

Of all the classic wets I've tied so far, this one was the most difficult. Because I was marrying to wood duck flank, I had to use goose shoulder. Neither material stands up well to a ham-handed tier like me, and I had been dreading this pattern for days. It came out OK, though.

The pattern database appears to be temporarily out of commission, so I'll post the recipe and the pic herein:

Cassard

Hook: Mustad 3399, size 6

Tag: Fine gold Mylar tinsel

Tail: Married strips of scarlet, yellow, and insect green goose shoulder; and wood duck flank

Body: Scarlet silk floss

Rib: Fine gold Mylar tinsel

Hackle: Yellow hen, palmered

Wing: Married strips of scarlet, yellow, and insect green goose shoulder; and wood duck flank

John

Awesome fly buddy!!!

Just curious what vise do you use?

-Sam

Thanks, Sam! I use a Dyna-King Barracuda. It allows me to tie itty bitty trout flies and big ol' salmon flies without changing jaws.

John

Spectacular work, John. I have a picture of a Holberton I tied, which is similar to the Cassard, but I keep staring at it and finding things I don't like. Yours is just lovely.

Leigh

Beautiful fly John great tye i realy like the body work as well as the wings

Tight Lines Mike

Edit. Ah ha! Lovely looking pattern, as always I love the palmering. Another beauty John, congratulations. :headbang:

Real nice fly John :headbang: I also have some trouble with wood duck..to me it is one of the more difficult wing materials to use and get it right, but I do really like those feathers in a fly!!

Regards

WW

John, that is an awesome looking fly. I can see why you would not look forward to this one as far as the wings go, I would be the same way. Hey, you pulled it off and did it right. Very nice looking tie.

Ashby