Fly Tying

Camel Spider from Iraq

As some of you know one of our members "Ashby" is currently stationed in Iraq. Last night he emailed me some pics so I could upload them to the website. He thought that you realistic guys might be interested in trying to create a "camel spider" that he found over there.

Here is what Ashby says about the spider. "The Camel spider I caught in a coffee cup. She's a baby, only about 4 inches or so to the legs. They (I've seen them) get as big as 16in hubs on a car, and can out run a man."

Anyway here are some pics and I am sure Ashby would love to see what some of you guys can come up with.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

. They (I've seen them) get as big as 16in hubs on a car, and can out run a man."

:bugeyes: :bugeyes: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

trust me...if a 16" spider was chasing me it wouldn't outrun me.....A frigging blown&injected drag car wouldnt be able to out run me :hyst:

If I saw a spider that big over there I'd be making use of the issued M16 :gun_bandana: :o

Good Day,

A friend recently returned from Iraq and had all kinds of fun stories about these critters. He usually kept his boots in a ziplock bag... you can see why.

If I am not mistaken, although called a camel spider I seem to remember that they acually are more closely related to scorpions...

Steelie

yea, that thing is creepy, it has some nice coloring to it though, kind of a mix of ugly and even uglier.

LMAO you guys crack me up. I knew this would be the place for this little lady. Steelie is right though, it is a scorpion. It gets it's name because it looks like it has a hump like a camel. Can't remember the correct name of it. Though I have never seen it beat in battle, even against a scorpion. Trust me, sometimes you pretty bored over here and this is just the ticket. This one, I caught on the taxi way. The guys were laughing their butts off because I was chasing it as much as it was chasing me. Back and fourth for about 5 minutes, and I got it in the coffee cup. You should have seen the room clear out when I had to put it back in the container from the zip lock. I've seen some of the pics you guys do with the zip lock bags and decided that was the only way to get you really good photos. Anyway, I was shaking and saying all kinds of four letter words putting it back in the container, and everyone else had cleared the room and watched/laughed through the door. It's was a lot of fun I must admit, but in the end she is out running the sand again. I hope you guys try to tie this one up. You are going to need one hell of a hook to do it though. Good luck if you try it, and hope to see in on here soon.

Ashby

When I was there in 91, we were on a police call detail, cleaning up everything along the road to the airport. We wer walking ahead of trucks in rows and told to pick up everything. There was this old tire that must've been there 15 years. We examined it before we reached for it, flipping it over with a tent pole first. We anticipated seeing a lizard or a snake. Nobody expected a 10 inch wide camel spider. We all about shit, but it didn't move, just looked at us. One of the guys figured he was required to throw a stone at it.... missed. This thing started doing what looked like push ups, us smart ones were slowly moveing backwords when, the guy decided to throw a bigger rock. Missed again but close. When that rock hit, the spider jumped into the air about head level, spinnign end over end. As soon as it hit the ground, it was gone in a flash. There was no time to blink, much less run away or even squeel. There was nothing to stop that thing from running up your body and latch on to your face. Nobody could've reacted quick enuff. Now, sleep well....

Just imagin being asleep on your cot when WHAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That little sucker just bit you in the balls, I can see all your tent mates with tears rolling down their faces from laughing so hard watching you rolling around in pain :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: BE CAREFUL ASH IT COULD BE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take care buddy, watch out for a little crazy bastard called my nephew, poor kid can't even legally drive a car yet and he's over there driving a damned tank!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fatman

Haha the funny part is those spiders are nocturnal, they don't like the sun. Its funny watching guys run from them, and the spider is chasing them to stay in their shadow :). You don't feel the bite. They drip venom on you (or an animal), that softens and numbs the area. Then they just chew a hole in you. They look horrible, they are huge (most of the time the size of your hand), and really really fast. But they are not poisonous believe it or not.