Fly Tying

All,

I'm conducting an informal poll to determine how many wet flies, approximately, the average small stream angler carries, and in what sizes. By wet flies I mean the traditional American wet fly with quill or feather wing, e.g., Leadwing Coachman, Babcock, Calder, Montreal; or wingless, e.g., Orange Fish Hawk; or palmered like the Zulu.

I'll start off. This year I carry about 300 in a total of four clip boxes (two with swing leaves). They are predominantly winged flies and are in sizes 6-16 with the bulk of them 10's and 12's. Here is a typical box:

IPB Image

These flies seem to suffice for all trout species here in NH, I would assume they would perform well in ME as well.

TIA for your responses.

Best regards,

Reed

www.overmywaders.com

Reed, Welcome aboard. I can assure you ... you'll get some response and envious comments regarding a beautifully loaded fly box :headbang:

Fishing CWF's are a bit new to me here in the NW but I'm giving it a go.

Reed,

I would say I carry about a half dozen at any one time, give or take. RIght now, my box contains the Trout Fin(s), GRHE, Cahill, Maxwell, Hopatcong, Fishhawk and Telephone Box.

Also, less traditionally, I carry some of the modern wets of Erling Olsen:

http://www.flyshop.no/flysel/erlingo/wetflies.htm

Streamertyer, those are great looking flies! Thanks for the link. I'm gonna give them a shot.

I carry a "bunch" in a very poorly organized Dewitt box. I pretty much try to always have the following patterns on-board: Bog Pond, Royal Coachman, Rich Widow, Grizzly King, Professor, Clove Valley Special, Rube Wood, Mershon White, Spitfire, Picket Pin, Epting, Trout Fin, Ginger Snap, Golden Monkey, Indian Rock, Leon Special, Gov. Alvord, Cupsuptic, McGinty, Tuthill, wooly worm and others... I love this box! Tight lines, Alec

IPB Image

Box o' Wets

overmywaders,

just got back from west yellowstone area and fished a three fly cast one afternoon for the brookies in indian spring creek...caught many fish on paramachene beau, silver doctor and scarlet ibis...(not the only wets i carry)...they had a taste for the silver doc and parmachene nore so than the ibis...

and they said wet flies are a thing o fthe past...

No brookies here on the lower Neversink, but the browns like to eat Queen of the Waters, March Brown, and a bunch of unnamed stuff mostly consisting of peacock herl or brown or gray dubbing, brown or grizzly hackle and various wing materials - good to see the wet fly tradition isn't as dead as some of the "experts" seem to think

I carry about 3-6 of each of these dozen or so patterns: Polka Dot, Good Evening, Marston, Vail, Blue Jay, Blue Bottle Variation, Cassard, Fontinalis Fin, Jay-Silver,Mrs. Haase, Silver Doctor, Wanderer, Royal Coachmen and Parmachene Beau. I usually fish them when the fish are being picky, kinda like a mini streamer. I also carry and use a few soft hackle wets like the brown and peacock and some Nemes style patterns that I dont know the names of. Duane

I fish with most of the flies previously mentioned but one of my absolute favourites is the Wickham's Fancy, it has never done me wrong any time i have tied it to my leader.

I used to fish classic wets most of the time. Flies like the zulu, cow dung, queen of the waters, professor but in the past few years I have gone heavily in the bead-head nymph direction and tend to use those far more often now. I do still carry some classic wets in 8-12 sizes but they are rarely fished. I would say that the brook trout I have been fishing are more forgiving in terms of presentation of a wet than a nymph but when they want the nymphs and you make a decent low drag presentation they will outfish the wets.