Fly Tying
mwf

Hook collection

Hello everyone I am new to both fly tying and this forum.

I have been tying for a couple of months and would like to begin creating a collection of mustad hooks. My question which mustad hooks should I have without going overboard?

I am looking at the following in 100pk:

94840- all sizes (I am going into terrestrial tying next)

3906- all sizes

I was also told to have 3906, 3906B, 9672, 79580 all in very sizes.

To me this seems like going overboard but buying bulk online can save money both per hook and shipping.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

MWF,

Zero, go with Daiichi or something of that nature. ;) That's just my opinion though. It depends on where you are located and what you are targeting, fish wise. If it's trout go with 10-26 dry hooks, 10-22 nymph hooks, 14-26 curved scud/emerger hooks. Streamers, get 4-12. Continuos bend streamer hooks for stimulators/stonefly nymphs and such 4-14. I guess what I can tell you is that it depends on what pattern you want to tie up, pick one and get the appropriate hooks. Pretty soon, you have more hooks than you know what to do with. That's part of the fun, we are all material junkies here. :D Anybody else help me out with this?? Take care and Tight lines! -James D TB7

mwf,

I think that is going a bit overboard, especially for somebody just getting started.

For the majority of dries you can get by with 94840 in sizes 10 to 18

For the majority of wets you can use either 3906 or 3399 or 3399A in sizes 6 to 14

For beadheads and longer nymphs use 9671 in sizes 6 to 12

For woolly buggers or streamers you can use 9672's in sizes 2 to 12

If you are going to be tying long shank terrestrials just use the 9671, and i wouldn't bother with the 79580's for the first while, the 9672's should be plenty large for any trout streamer you will tie.

It is better to spend your money in smaller amounts and buy what you know you will need instead of blowing big piles of money on things you might never use. That being said i have new tyers come into the shop all the time that insist on buying one box of almost every size hook in every size that i stock because somebody told them they should have them. After talking to them for a bit they usually end up buying what they need for what they are tying instead of ebery hook on the market. They leave with more money in their pocket (which means less in mine) and are usually much happier than if i would have just gladly taken all their money.

I guess i am trying to say start off small and spend wisely, you will be happy you did.

Hi mfw,

For years I stocked 2 hook styles (in a full range of sizes) for my personal tying - 94840 and 9672. I could tie any trout fly I wanted using one or the other. After I started fishing for steel head and in the salt I added appropriate hook for those disciplines. When I started selling hook as part of my business I stocked a bunch of different styles but still found most of my flies tied on one of two hooks - a dry fly hook or a 3XL streamer hook (94840 or 9672 equivalent). Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

I would go with 3906B before 3906. Most of your wets and nymphs are gonna take the longer shank. The 3906 is just a heavy 94840. If you need a short body wet, just substitute the 94840. Like Al said, get the streamer hooks, case-by-case. You don't have to false cast to dry out streamers, and you can make longer drifts, so you tend not to lose as many as you do your dries, so you can wait on getting them stock-piled.

I'm siding with Jamie and Al. Good advice.

Mustad hooks, are in my opinion a great hook with a great variety of styles and sizes. Sure you can test other brands, I'd encourage it. Just starting out, for your money and the quality mustad is a good choice.

Target the types and styles of flies you wish to tie and purchase hooks by which to tie those particular ones on. No use having a tonne of hooks you'll never use.

Ebay is a good place to pick up deals, but be wary and read the fine print.

Good luck with your tying and all the best!

Damian