Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
gonfishin

catching critters

my school has given me a reasonable sized project it began in june and the due date is next February the topic

could be anything you wanted. I have chosen to find 5 creatures in my area's streams/ rivers that trout or grayling will eat and I will make flies for everypart of their life cycle i.e. mayfly- nymph, emerger, Dun etc.

However I live in Switzerland -moved from NY in september- and so I do not speak any german (national language). this makes it really hard to find information from local sources. Since i cannot use local libraries or the Swiss internet sites i have decided I will carry out my own research.

my plan so far is to go to streams and rivers at least twice a week to different sections of river. Take a seine net and dislodge rocks and gravel infront of the net then see what the net holds. i will photograph the creatures and take a few specimens home for identification . could you please recommend another way to catch insects or other aquatic life.

thanks a bunch -alex-

Alex-

Your plan should be effective for capturing larval stage insect specimens. You might think about getting a butterfly net for capturing adult stage insect specimens. With a bit of stealth, you can use it to capture flying specimens. And, you can also use it to beat the underside of streamside vegetation to capture insects that are resting there. You have already discovered a good place to get help identifying specimens. Good luck with your project.

Thanks a lot taxon, my idea was based upon that if I found the larval stage I would then be able to find their latin names in entomology books and websites. once i got my hands on their latin names I would then be able to find pictures of them throughout their entire life cycle. However using a butterfly net sounds excellent. I think i will try it.

thanks again -alex