Fly Tying
k4collins

Going to GASPE in 5 weeks

Hello All - Am headed to GASPE in five weeks and am tying furiously. Any suggestions on patterns or early river reports for this year? Thanks!

~Ken

Ken, get yourself to Ann Smith's site, www.quebecsporting.com and look over her list of suggested flies and i think she does have river reports on there somewhere, if not get in touch with the local ZEC for the river you are going to be fishing.

I hope you can speak some french - those prople up there refuse to speak english although they are officially bilingual. They make you go through all sorts of conniptions trying to communicate.

The latest issue of Eastern Fly Fishing magazine has an article on the Gaspe. It gives this fly list;

Drys: Labatt Blue, Green Bomber, Brown Bomber, Au Sable Wulff

Streamers: Undertaker, Rusty Rat, Royal Coachman, White Muddler, Blue Charm, Green Highlander, Brown Rubber Legs.

Thanks for the info everyone! I had heard about the "green" comment and have tied a few Picasse variants with green instead of yellow underwings. Once I get the camera acting right I'll take a few shots. Can't say enough about this site. It truly is the best I've seen!! :cheers:

By the way - has anyone worked with the Quick Descent dubbing - the aluminum stuff?

There has been some talk on the flyfishing forum about the Gaspe rivers. Seems that the Cascapedias are fishing well and there are quite a few sea run brook trout around. I can tell you though that the water is warm and fairly low for this time of year in several rivers. We just have not had all the rain that Ontario and NY have had. Still, they are catching fish in places and on the news tonight I heard that rivers on the North Shore of the St. Lawrence are having and exceptional run this year, maybe you could take the ferry from Matane to Godbout if things don't work out in the Gaspe. The flies recommended by others seem right on but you might also have a look at www.saumonquebec.com (English version button in top right corner) which gives a list of recommended flies as a category in each river's subsection. My suggestions would include dries and also some fairly small sized wets (e.g 8, 10). I wish you luck and a good trip.

Thanks Fish ~ Took a look at saumonquebec... looks like the numbers are down as you say... we were planning on the cascapedias and the bonaventure, but may look into exploring a bit! I'll make sure to give a report when I get back!

TB - Thanks for the fly list.... I'm familiar with all but the Labatt Blue... at least the fly version... can anyone enlighten me? I've tried to find one and can not...

I fished Bonaventure and Little Cascapedia last september, then it was Willie Gunn and Wolly Bugger together with Bombers, who did the trick.

Mvh

Martin

The Labatt Blue if memory serves me correctly is a blue bomber with brown wings and tail, i could be mistaken as it was about a year ago last i heard of it. Also tie up some Tiger Ghosts, Green Rats, Cossebooms, Green Highlanders, Colburn Specials as well as the other "regular" flies like Rusty Rats, Silver Rats, Green Butts, Undertakers, Blue Charms and a tonne ( metric tonne.....larger than a ton) of dry flies like White Wulffs, Grey Wulffs, Royal Wulffs, Rat Faced MacDougalls, MacIntosh and bombers in a variety of colours.

The Labatt Blue is a bomber with a white calftail tail and wing and brown hackle. The pic in the magazine shows it to be fairly long, 3X or so.

Hi Ken,

Having fished all rivers in Gaspésie, Dry flies # 2-4-6 should be at their best. I used mostly White bomber, Labatt Blue, Carter Bug and Crevette.

For wet flies, my favorites are double hooks Rusty # 4-6-8 and Silver rat # 6-8-10 , Green machine white tail or with Krystal Flash #6-8-10, Picasse # 2-4-6, BBGB and undertaker #4-6-8-10-12 (small size if water is low or evening fishing), Same Thing Murray #6-8-10-12, Green highlander #4-6 and Butterfly white wings # 6-8-10 (Single hooks, for fast water).

Right now, I've heard that the Bonnaventure, Cascapédia and Matapédia don't have good fishing. But the York, Dartmouth and Saint-Jean are producing very very well. Also, lot of salar on the Matane and Rimouski Rivers.

For the French, most of the people north of Gaspésie are not fluent in English but south, around Gaspé, they are fully bilingual.

Have a good fishing trip,

Jacques

I'd say every one just about covered fly selection. It was mentioned already, but make sure you have some flies tied on doubles or some heavier wire irons. Undertaker, Green Highlander, and the biggest bombers you got is what always work for me. Best of Luck.

Cheers,

-Matt

The flies listed above cover almost everything. I just did 3 days on the Bonaventure last week and the fishing was good, two grisle and 2 salmon (one 15 and the other 18 lbs). Water was decently high, and they've had more rain since.

Crazily enough, this salmon fell to a Muddler Minnow, after hours of covering the pool with the traditional list of flies. Go figure !

IPB Image

Here's a pic of the Black Bear (Green Butt) pattern size 8. I was surprised at how sparse they tie them down there. They all seem to be like that.

IPB Image