Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fly time

More fly tying and fishing as therapy

As some of you know I had a very very close friend that was in a really bad car wreck 3 months ago, I almost lost him, this guy is like my brother, Well he gets out of the hospital next Tues. and he wants me to teach him how to fly fish and tie flies. His doctors said that this would be the best therapy for him, it's relaxing and builds back motor skills and muscle tissue. He has a hard time with his right side of his body, hand, arm and legg. He got to see the movie (A River Runs Through It) and this enticed him even more, so I am putting togeather one hell of a tying kit for him to get started with and Im gonna let him start with one of my rods. After he gets the hang of it I am gonna have Steve build him one that I will suprise him with at a cook out we have planned for him, I find that it is amazing at how this great sport and hobby can be so much more than what we first see on the outside. I just wanted to share this with you guys, because I know that it would be appreciated here.

PS. I am planning a trout and smallie trip for he and my self in Sept., here in the beautiful state of WV, and if there is any of you guys interrested let me know and we can meet up.

Thanks, Dustin

Redwings, thanks for the kind comment, but he would do the same for me, and this guy is the only one true friend I have, yeah I have friends, but I know if I ever needed anything no matter what he would be there for me, so I will do anything possiable to help him get better, so if its fly tying and fly fishing that will help its done, he gets half of my supplies and besides that everyone that fly fishes should have one of Steves fine custom made rods, they are great.

Sounds like an awesome plan man... you've got the right idea... don't worry too much about the fish... a good, true, friend is a treasure in this life not to be taken for granted. I like to think I've got a friend or two that would do the same.

All the best to you and your buddy.

Take care,

~Jeff

You'll be amazed at the therapeutic affect the water will not only have on your friend but on you, too. I had a rough spring with tests for cancer that had me pretty bummed out. Once I got the "all clear" on 3 tests, I hit the water for the first time in over a month. Just turning the corner to see the river I fish, it about took my breath away. I really hope you and your friend find true peace and tranquility on the water and that you even grow ever closer because of this experience you're about to share.

Mike

Mike, glad to hear the good news, and thanks for the inspiration, I could not imagine having to sit and wait to hear news of if I had cancer or not, thats gotta be rough, I know the peace of mind that being on the water can bring, as for my friend he was never much of a fisherman, but an avid hunter, now I hope to share many of great experiences on the water with him as well as the woods.

Thanks.

Dustin,

Can't imagine a better way to help out a friend than to introduce him to something he will likely enjoy for the rest of his life.

If you ever make it out my way, I have 2 open spots in my boat and you guys are welcome to come out with me.

-Cheers and good luck!

Coopersdad, thanks alot thats mighty gererous of ya, and if I do ever make it out your way Ill take ya up on that. ;)

Hey, Dustin...

PM me and I'll get you and your friend in touch with a fellow in WV (a quadraplegic) who spearheads an organization that helps to create hunting and fishing opportunities for people with physical handicaps.

John

Fly Time,

Best friends are rare these days, mine have fallen by the way side long ago. It may sound weird but cherish this time with your friend, it is rare.

Best wishes to you and your friend,

Todd

Thanks alot guys, and Im sure that we will both cherish our fishing days to come, this incident has given us both a whole new outlook on life.