Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
k4collins

Quick Descent Dubbing

Has anyone had experience tying with and fishing with flies with Quick Descent dubbing? It's the aluminum stuff? It looks pretty good to me, but is NOT easy to dub (at least not for me... :blink: ) and since I haven't actually fished a fly with it, I thought I'd ask before I delve deeper.... thoughts??

I like the stuff, but don't count on it adding any significant weight to the fly unless ur dubbing the whole body with it or something. I found it dubbed fine for small stuff.. Take small pinchces and build up the lenght slowly. I mean like I would grab like 3-4 strands and twist it on the thread at a time to build small bodies... larger clumps were more difficult to work with. I would recommend using a dubbing loop for larger flies to get the dubbing on and they you can probably twist it after you wrap the body and mash down any loose ends if you want a smooth body. I'll experment around some more with it as I haven't used it in awhile and see what I can come up with.

Jeff

I have some but am not impressed. I believe that it is hard to use and does not significantly increase the rate of sink. I prefer to use lead tape or wire on the hook shank and then hair dubbing over the top of that to form the body.

I HAVE USED IT FOR CADDIS LARVAE, AND MIX IT WITH DUBBING FOR SCUD'S. I DO USE A DUBBING LOOP. MIX AND MATCH THE COLORS, IF I AM LOOKING FOR WEIGHT I USUALLY USE A TUNGSTEN BEAD OR CONE. :headbang: