Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Joe Hard

Tying in a bottle

Has anyone ever tied a fly in a bottle or seen one? I mean like the way some ships or boats are made inside a bottle.

Guess it would have to be a bottle fly imitation (LOL) - Joe, maybe you should try something easier, like plugging in the Stratocaster and picking "Flight of the Bumblebee" with your toes - gotta admire a guy who loves a challenge though

I was under the impression that the majority of ships in bottles are assemble outside the bottle, laid flat, then setup using little tools.

I would think for an effective look you'd want a little 2oz (mikey) bottle where you could insert a pretty big (looking) piece of driftwood then snake a nice big salmon fly trough the neck and "mount" it to the driftwood using maybe some epoxy while holding it with a hemostat. That way you'd end up with a "big" display that once assembled couldn't have been inserted into the bottle as is. The fly would snake in easity because the wing is easily collapsable. It would just need a little straightening up with a bodkin.

I'm sure you've put some thought into this.. what ideas have you come up with?

Or.. you could get a nice big 2/0 hook and cut it off a the bend and eyelet. Then solder in some wire or heavy mono in the shank's place. Tie the fly on the modified hook. This would make it flexible enough to enter the bottle without being immediately apparent since the modification would be hidden by the fly.

I have seen them someplace but not sure where or when. There are quite a few things people have done with flies aside from fishing: I have a fly paperweight around someplace. Whoever made it took a fly and molded some kind of plastic around it. I presume it was not hot or it would have melted some of the fly materials so it must have been a two part epoxy sort of thing. Anyway, a fly in bottle could be an interesting desk piece. Also, there are earings. I made my sister a set with the French tricolour as she was living in France at the time. Cutoff the hook and put them on proper ear spike thingys.

fish, your paperweight was probably molded from polyester casting resin - from the little I know about it, it requires mixing with a catalyst and is a room-temperature process

Was it a long winter Joe? :dunno: I like to tie flies then stuff them in those clear Christmas balls with a leader ties on then tie the other end to the loop on the cap. Kinda cheesy but peole are always asking for them. Have to use the balls with the larger hole or tie smaller flies.

Think about getting a glass cutter and laying your bottle on its side and cut a round hole big enough to get in what ever your trying to put in there. Then you can glue the peice you cut out back in the hole and lay it on the bottom with whatever you put inside covering it up. Just an idear.