Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Alex C.

The BIGGEST hook

Ah yes the dreaded sage8wt hook fly/ leader system!!! 7 1/0 trebles tied above a 5 oz weight rigged on a yellow eagle claw!!!!

I've never seen a hook with a shank that long...reason being is that the shank length aids the fish in a fight so if you gave a large fish that much of an advantage I doubt you could land it.

If this is to be a decorative type fly I'd check around with the salmon fishermen.

For a working fly I'd look into alternatives like tying on mono.

Try scanning E-bay for salt water hooks.

If it's ornamental, try a coat hanger. Grind the end to a point, bend it to shape and paint it black. Use some mono and and tie an eye like a gut-eye. You could probably even grind a taper into it before shapeing?

The shank will only need to be a little longer than the head, which I'm thinking will be in the neighborhood of 4"

The reason I need the super hook is I need a big hook gap because the head is so big. The body will be extended, about 24" or so :innocent:

The biggest I can find anywher is 14/0 http://www.billfishtacklesupply.com/Hooks/maruto.htm

Looks like you might need to break out the propane torch and hammers to "build" yourself one. I'm gonna guess that the temper wont matter all that much.

For some reason I'm expecting this to turn into fly fishing's version of the jack-a-lope. Am I wrong!?

Tie the head on a tube then tie the body on a very large circle hook.

I use 8/0's a lot to tie super snake flies this way - I can cast them with lead core but I'm sure one day I'm going to wreck myself doing it.

Hi OLB,

Several years ago one of the hook companies hired Gretchen and me to tie several six inch long flies. They furnished the hooks and what they sent was several 14/0 shark hooks. The hook shank was 6.5" long and they were 4480DT Mustad Hooks. Good luck with your quest. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Thanks for all the responses! I don't want to give away what I'm tying, but you guys are gonna crap your pants when you see it, if it comes out halfway descent :lol: I've got about 4 flies to tie before I get started on it, can't wait to get going on it, I'm really excited

Gonna cast that with a crane? or just go dapping with an overhead tower crane?

Dry fly? For hackle, I'm assuming you'll use a whole turkey, wrapped from the head first, and for dubbing, wrap a feather boa around the shank. Maybe use some 3/8" manilla rope for thread, and aluminum muffler tape as fine tinsel. How about plastic imitation pine Christmas roping for twisted peacock?

Nymph? Perhaps some old lead pipe for weighting, and a couple of rabbits for dubbing, and a big old trashbag as wing covering, and again the 3/8" rope as thread, maybe with some brass piping as gold rib?

Streamer? How about a couple of surfboards for wings, a shorter boogie board for shoulders, and tied on with duct tape and about a gallon of black epoxy paint to get that Don Bastian style glossy head?

Oh yeah, can't wait...

-E