Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Antiqueing Stainless Steel bolts.

Hi, I am replacing the wood and bolts on the swing my dad made for my mom. I was thinking of making the bolts look like the are old bolts. Does anyone know if there is a product that will do this? Plan B is to paint the bolt heads black. I am using a clear coat on the wood that I am using.

Thanks

Jim

How about buying regular zinc coated hardware & buffing the coating off the head with a wire wheel. Then you got rust where you want it & no rust where you don't want it.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not allowed to play with torches so that is out of the question. But I do have some of the old hardware laying around that I took off the swing and I will scratch them up to see how they look.

Thanks

Jim

I don't know if vinegar is the answer

I boil metal bass guitar strings in vinegar to clean them

I'm definatley a fan of trying to age them chemically though

painting them flat black is a sure bet for a classy look though

Pauly

Check with a model railroad shop or a craft store. There are a number of products that you can brush on to metal or wood to create instant age or patina. ( http://www.jaxchemical.com/order.html ) When I had my model railroads up and runnng, I used them a lot to give new wood, rails, or rolling stock a lot of age in a hurry.

Suggestion, if I may. Try getting your hands on some plain steel bolts, treat them with a blackener and instant rust then buff them to give the desired look of wear and age. Coat them with a sealer and the look will last you many years.

Coat them linseed oil and bake at 350 until black. It also makes them resistant to rust if they weren't stainless.

Ken

Hi thanks for all the replies guys. Here is what I have gotten done so far. Here is a picture of the handles with one coat of clear coat on it with the stainless steel bolts in it.

IPB Image

This is a close up of one of the bolts after I used a Dremmel wire wheel on it. It did make it shine thats for sure and I don't think it looks too bad.

IPB Image

Any suggestions or questions would be greatly appreciated on this little project.

Chris I went to Walmart and checked out their blueing for guns and they said they wouldn't work with stainless stell.

Thanks

Jim

true, blueing wont get stainless as dark as a normal metal. but if you remember some of the old model 12 winchester shots guns were blued over stainless. it tends to be a lil light and 50 years later with alot of handleing it shows through. could you switch to a normal steel bolt the blue or brown them??? just keep us posted im courious to how it comes out, which ever route you take. -chris

I will look around town and see if I can find some steel bolts that are the same size as these.

Thanks

Jim