Fly Tying
fcflyguy

Terrestrials swap

All right, so it's not really a standard terrestrial, but I think I'm set on a horse fly pattern. I'll post a pic next week when I get a chance, headed out for the weekend. Family reunion on a 67 acre island on a decent fishing lake. Yes, the boat is going along.

hi

this is my first swap and i was just wondering how to mail my flies. i have an altoids container, but can i just put it in an envelope or does it have to be boxed? i was also wondering what i should do with the return postage?

Thanks

Austin

Anieman,this is how i mail my swap flies.

I get two 6x9 envelopes, on one envelope i write my address, this envelope will be used to return the flies to me. Enough postage is put on it and then i fold it and place it into the other envelope.

On the other envelope, i write the swapmasters address, where you are sending the flies you tied.I put the same amount of postage on this envelope. Then put the flies in the altoid can with toe tags on each fly, into the envelope and mail it to the swapmaster.

If im mailing weighted flies, or not sure of the postage i will go to the postoffice and have them tell me how much i need and after i got the stamps, seal the letters and then mail them. I suggest for the first few swaps that you do this to get an idea on how much postage to put on.

Some swapmisters will let you just put $ in the envelope to cover the postage, but some dont, if you want to use $, contact the swapmister first to make sure its ok.

I hope this helps.

I wasn't quite ready to enter a swap just yet but I was itching to, especially terrestrials! Thanks, Atroutbum2, for answering a few specifics re: swapping process. I am going to make up a couple of sets of flies, (probably chernobyl ants) in my free time to make it easy on myself then I'll dive in. Swap ya later, Bugcam.

Mine don't have the legs......................... but look very similar

I think I'll drop some others flies in to. (so there will be two patterns for each tier.)

Got started on tying yesterday. I will be doing a hopper, made of deer hair, pheasant tail and a piece of green egg yarn. Trying something (I think) original on these critters, hope it will work :)