Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
JarrodRuggles

midges

On my local trout water, theres always midges comin off. You never can find pupa that are deep in water but you see them floating vertically under the surface all the time. The shucks in the water are are a brownish grey color. They are about a size 20. This is happeningin fairly slow water. I dont know for sure but you can find "cocoons" on the bottom of the rocks. Could this be the midges? If so what are some possible species. I know this is a horrible description but im just trying to find natural pics. So what are some possibilites?

Thanks

Jarrod

I'm not familar with the term "shucks," typical of my fishing ignorance and poor ability. However, based on your prelim description, it sounds if the cocoons attached to rocks might be simuliid pupal cases. However, almost always these would be attached to rocks with flowing water over them, very rarely in slower water or in pools. Otherwise, there are many types of chironomids that pupate in loose tubes (probably certain genera of orthoclads (e.g., Cricotopus, Orthocladius) or attached cases (e.g., Rheocricotopus). Various Chironominae (e.g., Microtendipes, Micropsectra, Tanytarsus, etc.) also pupate in tubes. But many other midges freely pupate at the water's surface, where they often accumulate along the water's edges, usually about 100 meters from where they emerged (eclosion) from their larval state. Pupation is a short stage, usually a couple of days (often temperature dependent), and the adults emerge. Males usually are noticed swarming above some physical object.

If you have a more detailed description, I'll be glad to help.

Cheers, Ethan