Fly Tying
colbyjack

outdoor scenery today

Way back on page two I posted a link to a tutorial then just kind of forgot about it. I had some time to play but am stuck in the house so I was going back over some of the earlier photos just looking around and saw the post about the tutorial.

Anyway I eventually tried it and got half decent results. I have a few days to play and can't really go anywhere so I might try a better photo and do some other things in photoshop.

Here is my first try. Might take a bit to load?

pond

I haven't checked this thread in a a while, sure are lots of beautiful images.

Peterjay, I really love your B&W horses running, WOW.. Really an eye grabber. And the shapes of the horses, so unique, the silhouettes remind me of the ancient French cave paintings.

Great stuff here. I agree with you Colbyjack, time for more. I have new pics and just need to resize them for the web. I'll be back...

Here's a few new years morning snapshots. I thought about going to the Rose Parade, but wanted to avoid crowds, and spent a few minutes at the beach instead. No crowds.

There was a kid surfing and a guy with a camera on a tripod taking pics, likely his dad.

IPB Image

He was haing a great time

IPB Image

Until a bull sealion swam by real slow tight to shore

IPB Image

IPB Image

There weren't many birds around

IPB Image

But it was a nice day, mid 70's....

Happy New Year!!!

Great beach pix Graham - surfers in their element make great subjects. That sea lion looks like he's planning on spicing up his seafood diet with a human leg or two. I always thought that sea lions were the cute cuddly little guys you see playing with beach balls at the circus until I saw a large bull go after a trainer at the Mystic Aquarium during a show. I think I'd rather take my chances with a pit bull.

I haven't been able to get out and shoot lately due to unpacking chores, but I took a ride this afternoon to check out the conditions at a good searun brown spot I know, and I took the camera along just in case. The water level was OK, but the bank was too icy for fishing. I did find some interesting ice formations around the fish ladder. The light was way too flat, but I'm going back in the AM and this time, I'll remember to bring a tripod.

IPB Image

Thanks Andrew, glad you liked it. It's been a gray old day here, but I found this tiny landscape in a rut in the trail in back of our house.

IPB Image

Was out above Gallagher's Canyon a few mornings ago and got these sunrise shots. Had a brisk 30 kph wind and -8 celcius temps to put up with but had fun anyways.

Ernie

post-3353-1199794836_thumb.jpg

post-3353-1199794855_thumb.jpg

post-3353-1199795120_thumb.jpg

I love those black and whites of your's Peter. I seem to have trouble with mine but then it could be because I experiment too much or try to "force" the shot too much. Guess I just have to let it flow.

Here's some B&W and Sepia shots .

Ernie

Some angry clouds.

post-3353-1199854996_thumb.jpg post-3353-1199855067_thumb.jpg

Out for a walk.

post-3353-1199855281_thumb.jpg post-3353-1199855319_thumb.jpg

Father Pandosy's Mission built in 1859.

post-3353-1199855515_thumb.jpg post-3353-1199855543_thumb.jpg

Here's some misc pics from the files.

Ernie

Overlooking Gallagher's Canyon at dawn with the sun behind me. Two weeks later this was all snow covered.

post-3353-1199862389_thumb.jpg

About the closest I've gotten to any wild life in the past while. :lol: This lil' fella was on the front lawn having a munch1.

post-3353-1199862434_thumb.jpg

Kokanee spawning channel a couple days ago. Stood and thought about the miracle happening in the gravels under the snow and ice.

post-3353-1199860816_thumb.jpg

Love the colors of Oregon Grape in winter...

post-3353-1199861321_thumb.jpg post-3353-1199861354_thumb.jpg

Nice pix Ernie - we used to have a lot of rabbits around here until the coyotes moved in. (They'll be getting a dose of their own medicine shortly, at least in my neighborhood) Don't worry if B&W gives you trouble - it's been making me crazy for years. I used to think I'd live long enough to know what I'm doing, but I'm beginning to have my doubts.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Thanks Peter! I have to admit that B&W does drive me a bit post-3353-1199928613_thumb.jpgly at times. Some days I can visualize and other days it's difficult at best. Have made it a resolution that for every 2 rolls of color film I use, I'm going to try and use 1 roll of B&W until I'm comfortable with it again. Will be going for a lot of walks in this area,post-3353-1199928795_thumb.jpg practicing, until I'm happy with the results.

Ernie

I have been looking at all these great photos using a digi and thinking well I could put up a couple of pics so lets have all your crits on these couple. The first is a Scottish loch and the second some of the moss and lichens I found growing on a tree alongside a river that ran out of the loch. The lichen is not as sharp as I would like but you get the idea.......

Keith

post-9756-1200614091_thumb.jpg

post-9756-1200614175_thumb.jpg