Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
stony

[Critique]

Well, this is my first attempt at using buck tail and for some reason, I'm not too happy with it. I know it's my first one but it doesn't look like the picture. Something is goofy with the head.

What do you think and what can I improve? Don't worry, I have thick skin.

post-5970-1153976878_thumb.jpg

The tail is too long, should be even with the back of the hook, seperate the strands and use only one, fluff the wool a bit at tail once its tied and clipped. The body and rib looks spot on. The bucktail should be a bit sparser, so that each colour can be determined, even and shorter. That is why the head is large, and the wing looks shabby. (you said you had thick skin and I couldn't think of another word). Once the body is complete try to have a flat tie in area that is even with the body. With the thread hanging, right below where the body ends.

Try this for a wing. Take about 10 to 15 strands of white bucktail. Make sure all the tips are even. Measure it so that the tips are just a tiny bit past the tail. While holding the clump on top of the shank. Wrap the thread around the clump, then with your thread hanging below the shank slowly draw it tight toward you so that the thread draws snug to where the body ends. Make two wraps forward, and adjust the clump so it is even and on top of the shank. Make four firm wraps of thread directly on top of each other. Make one wrap forward and then make another 4 wraps on top of another. Spiral wrap rearward and make another 4 firm wraps of thread directly on top of each other in fornt of the first 4 wrqaps. Clip the tag ends of the bucktail, add a drop of head cement. Spiral wrap the thread forward over all. With back to back wraps of thread cover all back to the original tie in point of the wing. Although all these thread wraps seem unnecessary having a flat thread will make these wraps seem small. This will make a smooth and even tie in area for the brown bucktail. Even up the tips of a clump of brown bucktail with a few more strands, than the white. Measure the brown slightly longer. Once you have the length measured do not move it, on any of the clumps. If I am not mistaken the black should be slightly shorter, Use a few less strands than the white. Say 15 white, 20 brown, 12 black. Once you have done that you can better judge the size of the clumps of bucktail to dress your flies heavier or sparser. There is lots of ways to do things, I figured this way might help you out.

Alright Stony, it will fish but I'd say Daryn was right on. The way that you are tying in the hair is causing it to spin a bit on the shank instead of just stack on top of the shank. If you even up the hairs a bit and then hold firmly in place as you cinch down your wraps (only 2-4 wraps using the pinch method) then the hair should stack neatly on top of the hook shank. You were also spot on that there is something goofy with the head...it is probably two to three times larger than truly necessary. As you tie more you will find the number of wraps it requires to hold the material securely in place...and as you get better you will realize that less is more and naturally your fly heads will get smaller. The only additional thing I would add to Daryns assesment is that I would shorten the yarn tag to about half of what you have on this one.

Thanks a bunch for the feedback guys. I really appreciate it. I do have thick skin so I won't be crying anytime soon. :D

Like what is suggested, I bunched up the bucktail and then tied thread around it twice, then I cinched it down on the hook and tied it there. That was supposed keep the clumps straight and together. I definitely need more practice on that.

I think I went overboard on the brown and black as you can barely see any white at all. I probably used the right amount of white.

I will definitely shorten the yarn tail, I guess I just placed that there and forgot all about it. I know in the picture its a little tip.

The body was tough for me as I couldn't match up the tinsel in the folds without it curling on me. That alone probably took me twenty minutes before I was happy with it.

Well, thanks again for the suggestions. I'll try it again and post it for more feedback. This is alot to go off of so thanks.