Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flydog33

fly tying class

I've been asked by the local fly shop to teach a class this fall. The cost of the class is $40.00 per student , with half going to the shop, the other half to me. Is this a fair deal? I realize some of you get more, is this the it is done? Any advice would be helpful

I would think it would vary by shop and circumstances. I was offered $50 store credit by a local shop to give a free fly tying demo. I'd have been willing to do it for nothing, though, as I felt honored to be approached and I enjoy teaching. So, your case sounds fair to me.

-- Mike

That was my question. Are they limiting it to a certain number of students, How long are the intended sessions, how many sessions are you expected to teach, and how many patterns per session.

Those are important questions to ask.

Try to keep the class to 5 or 6 students, otherwise you're not going to be able to give each student some individual attention. As for the $, well that is up to you. See if the shop will give you a commission on any material or tool sales in addition to the split fee. That's what I have done in the past and has worked out well.

It would be a min. of 5 stundents, 8 week course approx. 2 hrs. each week. As far as patterns go, what should I do? They could get really bored doing wooly buggers, and the good trout fishing is 3 hrs. away, so that leaves poanfish and bass flies. What do you guys teach? How should I ask for a commision with out causing any hard feelings?

I would be honered if I was asked to teach a class, as far as flies go, I would start out with the wooly worm, then a bugger, on to a Wulff, mabey some sculpins, and any smaller patterns would be great for the panfish. I wish ya the best of luck, and hope it all works out for ya!

If the people you're teaching are brand spankin new to tying, I'd start with a woolly bugger and a nymph or dry that works well for panfish there. Just do 2 flies a week. Then as you go, move on to progessively more difficult flies. IMO, the fly you're teaching them to tie isn't important, what is important is the tecniques involved in tying that fly. For example, when you tie a woolly bugger, you learn to size the tail, form a body, palmer hackle, etc. That way when they see a pic of a fly with the recipe in some book or magazine, they'll be able to figure it out on their own.

Hey flydogg33, I wouldn't ask for a commision if I were you. In fact if you've done the math, with 5 students you'll be earning a whopping 6 bucks an hour. Figure in a little for gas & a snack & then what's left? You might as well do it for free. How about getting a room at the local high school or library or fire dept, one night every other week, for free of course. Start your own club, no dues or fees. Then everybody wins. ;)

I teach many classes and in our area classes are typically 4 weeks , limited to 6 students and price for the course is 59.00 per student.(which I get 1/2) That includes tools and materials and I have always encouraged students to bring their own tools and vices if they have them, this has helped them to learn the proper way to work with them as well as it makes it easier to give them helpful tips in working with their own equipment. The fly shop is the supplier of all materials but in some instances it can be a problem be cause of the Quality or lack of, so Often times I provide all materials, vices included, in which case I receive all the monies. As far as commissions, I don't work that way, however I receive a discount on anything I should purchase(usually 10% above cost)

I get commissions on material and tools that are purchased immediately before, during and immediately after the class. I get it because I asked for it and the shop owner knows that those are sales that he wouldn't have made if I wasn't there teaching. It doesn't usually amount to a great deal of $, but it can if a couple of premium vises happen to be purchased.

The store that hosts our TU classes doesn't charge anything for us to be there. We provide all materials for the people who show up to tie whatever it is we're tying that time. The store does have a deal where anyone who comes gets 10% off whatever materials or tools they buy that night, whether it's for what we're tying in class, or for anything else.

The classes are free.

So you will be doing 8 weeks of teaching and preparation for $100. I would try to get them to come down to 6 weeks, and add the commission. The best teacher here in Toronto requires his students to bring 'homework' back every session, for review. They will not improve if they do not practice in between. It may be that you will have to compromise in terms of flies for warm water, but also remember to introduce all the techniques needed for good tying. I agree with the Woolly Worm and Bugger. Personally I would then add a fly like a marabou streamer or Light Edson Tiger as it is similar to a Bugger (in tying routine) but adds the wing and becomes a streamer. Include a bucktail (Mickey Fin or BNoseD) in the same class. Then once you are on to wings you can do an EHC (even large enough for a bass) and a Stimulator (using dubbing is only making your own chenille). Then move on to wing cases so you can do nymphs (for trout) or add a foam wing-case to a crystal bugger for a floating 'frog' for bass. Leave the traditional dry mayfly for last when other material manipulations have been accomplished and practiced on larger (bass hooks).

Sounds like a good way to share what you know. Do you have a night school/adult classes, teach there too. Once you are done with the shop expand, it might not be a big money making adventure but it will get you a few extra things