Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
James Daly

Red Drummond at a Long 3/0

Greetings All,

Here's my newest attempt. The Hardy Red Drummond. I'm not keen on the horns one bit. If I'm not mistaken they are intersecting way to early and have way too much curve. I wasn't paying enough attention and threw a layer of head cement on it before I realized. All in all this thing went south right about the tag. But, again I am pressing myself to take a fly to the end no matter how frustrating. I can not correct errors if all I have is a bare hook to look at. I'm definately fixing to cut about a 1/4" off these 10/3's as they are a bit long. Oh yes, no white tip turkey tail either. Lightest cinnamon I could find from what I've got. Throws a completely different look to the fly. Feedback is always appreciated and welcomed. -James D TB7

post-4102-1154240572_thumb.jpg

The Red Drummond is the fly that almost killed D.Carne - for some reason it always seems to beat me (along with a couple of other theoretically simple patterns).

A very ambitious fly to attempt - but you certainly had a very good shot at it.

You'll find it's actually better to tie horns using side tails as they're straighter and longer, I'd aim for a meatier rib, larger, longer JC and shoulders too.

You need to be careful with the wing tips as they're tapering too much - you can reduce this problem by not stepping them back so much (so you get a bit of a saw tooth) - when tied in this dissappears if done right.

I'd take 1/3 inch rather a 1/4 off CS10/3s - looks better than only 1/4.

Have a look at the Campbell as a pattern to try.

Cheers - keep up the good work!

Dave

I agree with Dave on the profile of the wing, it has a little too much stagger at the end. The underwing is barely visible though I think that the color you used looks good in place of the white tipped turkey.

I think that the positives have to be the body which looks great to my eye, especially the tinsel section. The head looks great.

Great effort and now you know what you want to change so you can get back to the drawing board.

Thanks for the feedback fellas, I definitely appreciate it. I'm gonna have to work on the winging and everything else.....Practice.......James D TB7

Sign in to follow this