Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Alex C.

How to Pinch Down the Barb(Video)

Here is a short video on how to pinch the barb down on a hook. This is useful when you are having trouble getting a bead to slide over the barb(but usually the biggest problem I have with beads is when I'm trying to use the wrong size bead or the type of bend, such as a limerick, doesn't allow the bead to slide on.)

This is also useful if you wish to use barbless hooks whn fishing and don't want to pay the extra money to buy them already de-barbed.

How to Pinch the Barb Down

It is surprisingly difficult to debarb some hooks. Will have a look at the video you posted, thanks

Thanks for that.

I know that you're not supposed to pinch across, but I too often do. I'll make a point of doing it properly from here on out. When your 8 year old ties flies and fishes with you, trust me when I say that you DO NOT want a barb on the hook as it catches you, your coat, his pants, his shoelace (how the hell?), etc.

When your 8 year old ties flies and fishes with you, trust me when I say that you DO NOT want a barb on the hook as it catches you, your coat, his pants, his shoelace (how the hell?), etc.

:hyst: I let my 5 year old son pick out 3 flies whenever he goes to the fly shop with me. Well the first time when we left the shop the owner asked him if he wanted a little box to put them in. He said no he had his fly box with him in the car. Well we get about 5 miles down the road and he starts crying cause his flies are all stuck in the upholstery of the back seat of our car :cursing: :lol: So I pulled over, got em out and told him thats why you put them where they belong ASAP! No problems since.