Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mustang Mike

Has anyone used ...?

As I was taking a break at the office the other day, I noticed that the crows are dropping feathers all around (mostly wing quills.) I've read where folks have used a (wide) variety of feathers and furs for tying. I've recently read of starling feathers being used. I guess it's the iridescent quality of the feathers that could attract a fish? Anyway ... has anyone here used crow feathers and if so, for what? It appears that I have a source sitting right in front of me but I can't think where the crow feather would be good for much.

Anyway, thought I'd run by you folks!

The crow feather and the raven feather are very similar. Quite black and very irridescent. Firbres are somewhat fuzzy.

The fly in my avatar is made from a crow-raven feather I found on the ground by the door of the motor home in Northern Maine. I had run out of my black bodied parachutes. I used the feather for both tail and body. Added a little peacock ahead of the post to some of them and worked like a charm. Caught a bunch of little brook trout on the fly.

I have an entire bird dried and the only thing I did not bring with me. I couldn't find it!!

later

Fred

IPB Image

Sorry fpor the late reply, but I just stumbled upon this thread. Crow wing and tail feathers make great beetles. Also, using a few fibers here and there, tie a really messy-looking fly and fish it wet or dry. It will catch fish. In addition to tails and wet-fly wings, fibers and segments of crow quills make dandy cricket legs. Hope this helps.

Are crows protected like other scavengers? If so, be careful picking up feathers, even that could land you a big fine or worse, jail time. I know it sounds ridiculous, but songbirds, migratory birds, and scavengers/predatorial birds are all protected in one way, shape or form, so be careful.