Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
stony

Tying Rubber Legs

I have been having trouble getting the little rubber legs to stay put. How do you get them to cooperate? I am trying to put them under the body. I have tried crossing them into an X pattern and tying the middle but they seperate funny and don't look even on both sides.

Any help and tips would be appreciated.

To get them to have that "X" shape you don't tie them in like an X. You actually tie one in on each side of the shank. Then the thread tension from tying them in will cause them to get that "X" shape. To keep them even, just tie one loose wrap around them, adjust them how you want them as far as length goes and then take a few more turns with greater tension onthe thread.

I normally take a 2" piece of leg, the fine rubber leg material for more action.

I put in on my thread and divide it in half and hold it. Then I move the thread to the place on the fly were I want the leg moving the leg taking the leg with it, let go of the leg. I do a couple more wraps and do the next one.

I have used the thicker leg material and it works fine this way too.

You can use dubbing or other things and go on both sides and the middle.

Give it a try.

I have recently begun to tie foam bodied flies and have attached legs by using a bodkin to poke a hole through the body, then thread the leg through. This works well.

However, I would really like to put a bit of a curve in the front and rear legs to give it a more realistic appearance. So, if anyone has any suggestions, I'd be grateful.

I have recently begun to tie foam bodied flies and have attached legs by using a bodkin to poke a hole through the body, then thread the leg through. This works well.

However, I would really like to put a bit of a curve in the front and rear legs to give it a more realistic appearance. So, if anyone has any suggestions, I'd be grateful.

The Hatches article on the foam stone (I think) shows how he puts a bend into the legs.

You can also tie a knot in the legs ... i think there is a tool for doing this.

I've also heard that you can get a bend if you put a drop of superglue on the rubber leg on the opposite side where you want it to bend.

I've never worried about putting a bend in.

Your best bet is to experiment with it and see what you come up with.

Thanks Madkasel.

I will give those a shot.

It isn't necessary to put that bend for I've had success with straight legs. Just something new to try.