Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Aw

Fly Fishing in Singapore.

Hi, A very good day all of you, folks!

I am from Singapore, a tiny little island within South East Asia. Due to much reclaimation & limited space & area for fly fishing, the fishing here are generally slower in results.

Nevertheless, we can still expect species on fly like :-

Saltwater

Barracuda

Giant Herring

Barramundi

Todak aka Needlefish

Queenfish

Milkfish

Grouper

Half Beak

Warsse

Indo Pacific Tarpon

Trevally

Freshwater

Carps

Koi

Peacock Bass

Jaguar Gupote

Chilid family

Barbs family

Toman & snakehead family

Do not know what else I can contribute to this wonderful forum.

Nevertheless since I can't load much pictures, you all still can view's last year of local catch report pictures from this link as compiled in a year.

Summary Catch Report for Year 2003

http://www.fishingkaki.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7121

well, first of all, you can enlighten me to the ways of the snakehead. As you may know, they are presenting major problems in some of waters as an exotic species that was introduced accidentally.

Do you flyfish for these guys? What type of tackle do you use and what are your favorite flies?

You wait until they cross the road. Then you run them over like those squirrels you killed last fall bugeyes.gif

The squirrels were in the yard, not the road biggrin.gif And if I find a snakehead in Ky, I'm gonna mount it! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Big Daddy Hubbard @ Jan 30 2004, 02:39 PM)
well, first of all, you can enlighten me to the ways of the snakehead.  As you may know, they are presenting major problems in some of waters as an exotic species that was introduced accidentally. 

Do you flyfish for these guys?  What type of tackle do you  use and what are your favorite flies?

Hi, Chris

Yes, Definitely! They take flies for breakfast, lunch, dinner & supper! laugh.gif

They spawn in thousands, hunt in schools & packs when young while in adult stage, they are serious parents who guards their young fearlessly.

These aggresive buggers are best fished with Poppers, Darlberg Divers which resembles frogs. Esperically in the morning nearing to dawn & evening. That's the best time to fish for them locally.

What size are we talking about over in your waterway? As they are much dirty fighters... We too have swam & swam of babies within 100g - 300g within our resevoir. The bigger mothers of the species of Giant snakehead aka Giant Toman could range from 3 - 10kg above in size. Depending on your grounds, if it is snaggy... we will have those 9 - 10wt with lock up drags for them. (Sometimes... we still lose them to the snags... dry.gif ) But in range of those normal 1-3kg. A 6-7wt set with a good butt strength & good moderate drag would do. They don't run far but will head for any snag possible. Therefore you may have to tighten alittle when needed.

In Summary, Poppers with a short steel wire trace of 6 inches if your size gets into 3kg & above. Bucktail Clousers in orange or red in size 2 (Our usual flies) are also effective for them, just in case, they are a little spooky off the surface. All the best in culling them in your beautiful trout waters.

they have been presenting problems in Florida, Georgia, and all along the East Coast. Some have been dredged from the Gulf Of Mexico. Apparently, they are, if I am mistaken, please correct me, a delicacy (spelling?) and were being farm raised for Asian resturants. After some flooding and a few hurricanes, they ended up in Southern waters, devastating everything they could get a hold of....haven't heard much about it lately, but I think New Jersey was having real headaches from these things....personally, I would love to get one on the ol' longrod!

Hi Chris,

The old theory was to use heavy tackle for them but from the start of last year... A few of the regular flyers here has done the hook up with size 12 - 14 dries & nymphs... It is quite amazing that they have those 3 - 1 wt clicker sets ... doing the "Walk the dog" method with the snakys until they are tired out.

They have even managed to land fishes in the range of 2kgs.... huh.gif But if we can talking abut culling... the best method is still make the best out from the "Pest"

... they make great soup! laugh.gif

Here's a soup recipe for Snakehead!

Watercress Soup with Snakehead and Duck Gizzard

http://www.foodno1.com/efoodno1/menu/efood...-20000514b.html

tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (Big Daddy Hubbard @ Jan 30 2004, 03:23 PM)
DUCK GIZZARDS?!!!! SURE YOU AIN'T A KENTUCKY BOY?![/SIZE] biggrin.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

You can always skip the gizzards!

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Hell no!! Dat's da bes part!!! Love duck!...now as for snakehead soup...that may take some convincing and a bottle of bourbon!

QUOTE (Shoe @ Jan 30 2004, 03:27 PM)
Good one, Jimmy laugh.gif

Those are some impressive photos in your link.

Thanks

Nah. Nothing compared to places like Maldives & Florida.

I think there are some faults with the link... Not all pics show up... in fact most pics didn't show up ... rolleyes.gif

I have to check to this... wink.gif

Last year, in fact, we have a good year with plenty of milkfish being landed.

Here's the link where one of the flyers in singapore posted his milky catch on Lefty Kreh's webby.

http://www.outdoors.net/site/images/getima...r&ImageID=15822

Here a small one compared to those biggies which max out the 15lb boga grip...

Welcome to the site! I like keeping most of the freshies you mentioned in aquariums, especially the Jaguar Guapote. Mean buggers! A buddy of mine has some young Peacock Bass, and loves 'em!

Fly Fishing, the international language! thumbup.gif

Jimmy, welcome! Great pics, I just looked thru them & really like to see the different species you folks fish for & similar flies! Looks like you folks are using many of the same flies we use!

I realize that many flies are tied in Singapore for use around the world, but do you folks have local fly patterns that you use for specific species in your area. I'm sure everyone here would like to see them if you have them, it would be interesting to see some new designs! thumbup.gif

Too bad more folks in the world don't take up this great sport, probably be a lot less wars & fighting going on! wallbash.gif

Glad to have you join us! headbang.gif

QUOTE (Jim Hester in MD @ Jan 30 2004, 06:30 PM)

Too bad more folks in the world don't take up this great sport, probably be a lot less wars & fighting going on! 

Jim you've obviously never seen tippy dam here in michigan during the salmon run! wink.gif

SD

Sign in to follow this