Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
stony

Beads

Is there a big difference between glass and metal beads?

The reason I ask is that I have found some great deals on eBay for glass beads. 500+ various colored glass beads for $3.00 and free shipping. I will probably purchase them anyways, but are they a viable substitute for metal beads?

I like them. More colorful, and helps the fly sink. Not as heavy as metal, of course, so won't help the sink as much but they have their place.

I've bought a couple of glass bead packs and I like using them. Lots of fun colors to choose from, especially when goofing around "inventing" bluegill flies! Metal just gives you silver and yellowish.

For $3, how wrong can you go?

Glass will sink slower than brass beads, tungsten the fastest. There are many, many uses for glass beads, and for the price you are paying great deal.

OK, thanks for the advice.

Being one who doesn't like to bogart great deals I find, Here is the link for his store if you are interested in cheap beads.

I believe he ships any bead order of 300 or more for free.

Click Here

Your local big box department store craft section or craft store should have the same beads and maybe even cheaper!

And they have alot more fly tying supplies too!

Just a thought!

the big difference is the weight. But watch out - glass beads (the craft kind) are usually not very consistant in size or shape. Have found a lot of the "round" ones to be a little elongated, making it hard to get around the bend of the hook. I've even gone to taking appropriate size hooks to the local bead store to try out different beads. The bead folks have no idea what you're doing, but what the heck?

I am going to try using some garnet beads and dyed freshwater pearls and pearls (olive, pale yellow, grey, etc.) and other semi-precious stones that I have lying around. I saw a pattern for a red colored bead scud or nymph lately, that would be cool with the blood colored garnets that I have. Quite inexpensive at the rock and gem shops, depending on the quality or grade. Has anyone here played with this before, what results?