Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sniksoh

check out this forum!!!

I moved this topic out of the bench because it is not fly tying related, please ask for permission before posting things like this.

Holy @#%* that's ugly... WOW!

Sorry, but somebody needs to say it. You need to make some big changes if you want this forum to get off the ground.

Ditch the blinking fader asking for money (you won't get any donations yet, so you're not losing anything), ditch the AdSense ads until you already have lots of members, ditch the Bass Pro logo background image, and remember that brown and green look good together in nature, not in vivid computer screen shades...

Check out the applicable parts of the Yale Web Style Guide and Web Design From Scratch to see how to make a website look good.

It would help if your forum was more specific, too. Why on earth would anybody want to join a brand new general outdoors forum when they already belong to a community in any of thousands of other outdoors forums more specific to their interest? If you want to succeed, you've got to either make the forum very good and put a lot of money into marketing it, or define your forum as unique in some way -- better than all the others for people with a certain interest.

Also, if your heart's not really into having a forum and you just want to make an AdSense site, then drop the forum thing altogether and build a site about flies you've tied with tutorials or something. Forums are hard to start with because there's so much competition and anybody can put one up in about five minutes. They just fizzle and go nowhere 99% of the time, unless you're really dedicated to their success and clever in how you go about it.

Also, don't promote your site in forums without making your post a self-contained contribution, meaning people browsing the forum can read it and get something out of it without having to go to your site. I've done some blatant promotion of my own site, but I've never had a user complain about it, and only about 5% of moderators, because I post some cool stuff in the topic so people enjoy reading it without necessarily visiting my site. It's harder to do that when your site is a forum, because you're in direct competition with any forum you might promote on, and any interesting stuff on your own site doesn't convert well into something that makes a good post on another forum. An example of something you might get away with would be posting highlights of an interesting discussion on your forum and asking what people in the other forum think of the topic.

Sorry to be so blunt, but I figure a rude wake-up call will get you on the track to success more quickly.