Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

In this heat, what flies are working for you?

For the most part on lakes my fly choices remain the same, but as this heat has been laying a blanket of "ouch" over us for so long, I'm finding that more subtle or realistic flies are beating out the old stand-bys.

Take nymphs for example. Lately they've had to be either small (12 or less) or very subtly colored to draw strikes. Topwaters are working but not drawing a lot of bass.

Though I haven't tried a dark colored Dahlberg Diver yet...

I went fishing with Blueman89 and his dad. I caught 1 smallie on a clouser, Jerry and dad were killing em with fathead minnows :bait

Im still searching for the killer hot weather pattern

On my last couple of trips I've caught largemouth on small poppers and a rabbit strip diver fished down to two or three feet with a strip-pause-strip retrieve. Got some gills on foam spiders and a bugger-type fly with rubber legs my daughter made up. Not any big fish, but steady fish each outing with those.

I've been having decent action in the California Delta with a black deer hair Dahlberg Diver I tied with a black ostrich herl tail and a yellow deer hair head:

IPB Image

I fished it here day before yesterday:

IPB Image

And, among others, picked up this one:

IPB Image

-- Mike

I guess I need to hit the lake and see what I can do.....lately my hot weather flys have lookid like this.... :drunk: and a few like this :cheers: and at work they look like this..... :coffee:

:hyst: :hyst: :hyst:

Around here, its been sculpin patterns, with lots of white in them, and about 3 feet down, best fishin has been in the shaded areas, and grasses.

I've been having some good luck on pheasant tail pupa in sizes 20 and 22 tied on a TMC200R hook. I have them in about 5 or 6 different colors and combinations of beadheads so it just seems like all I have to do is find the combo the fish want and then the depth of drift I need. If I find one or two, it seems like there is a pod of fish all in the same area with the "feed bag" :hyst: on. (If it only was this easy. I think I'm just in the right place at the right time which usually is most of it, isn't it?) An olive woolie or mohair leech is working well, too. There are dragon flies everywhere and I have heard the woolies are being taking as dragon fly nymphs. I haven't thrown anything but midges lately though myself .. but I am having a ball. :yahoo:

Mike

I'll let you know sunday night when I get back from fishing for some browns and rainbows. I'm going to try the western branch of the Delaware river early in the morning.

Stay Tuned....

-Sam

That's an awesome picture of a Dahlberg Diver, Hairstacker. Too cool.

Haven't really been finding the bass around here, yet. Still getting bluegill mainly with an elk hair caddis.

I've had good luck with Woolly Buggers for Largemouth in a creek behind my aunt's house. Haven't been able to go for Smallies or Trout in a while. I hope to change that soon...

I was having an awesome night tonight catching Gills and Crappie with a Gold & Red StripWing.

IPB Image

Soon as I lost it to a lilly pad, I couldn't buy a bite.

Sign in to follow this