Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
#10WhiteWolf

Steelin....!

My dad is trying to find out all he can about steelhead. ie....: what they eat, what their tendencies are, when they are most likely to feed or strike.....etc. Anything you guys have for me is appreciated, thanks.

Sorry but I would definitely avoid going to that first link like the plague <_< "the steelhead site" is well known for being nothing but a bitch&moan fest and unless you want to spend all day reading a soap opera of guys arguing then that site is useless. I'm half tempted to even remove the link to them from this thread just because so many people have had bad experiances there that I dont want anyone blameing us for sending them there :blink:

Our other sister site to FTF is TFF and you will find alot of good info on the fishing side of the sport there. We try to keep FTF all tying related so post this on TFF and you'll get alot of help. http://www.talkflyfishing.com/

Where is he going to be fishing for them? I assume NY judging by your location.

Lake Ontario:

Steelhead will start to enter the the Salmon River in late September. There aren't big numbers of them since they don't spawn until the spring but there are a few. Most of them will be skamania steelhead. The salmon activity attracts them and since they aren't spawning they are actively hunting food.

Steelheading will pick up as November rolls around and the salmon die off.

They will continue to enter the river in small groups throughout the winter. During late February into March is when most steelhead enter the river. Typically these are Chambers Creek strain steelhead.

Spawning will occur from late March into April.

Frank

I agree with steve 100% on all he had to say!!! I also recomend that he post question on tff. as far as diet it depends on the time of year and the strain. so feel free to be spacific and Im sure that you will get loads of help!!!!!