Fly Tying
Graham

Stalking Dragonflies

Today I spent my lunch hour stalking dragonflies, hoping to capture a couple of nice photos.

First thing I did was place a tied dragonfly on a stick that was protruding out into the water, thinking it might lure interest from a potential mate.

IPB Image

It didn't take long... But now wish I had chosen an unbroken branch, because the severed branch kind of spoils the photos composition. Oh well, I’m still learning my techniques.

IPB Image

Taking pics at noon on a sunny day blew out the highlights on the eyes. Maybe a cloudy day would be better for this kind of outdoor photography.

IPB Image

But I do like this closeup shot...

IPB Image

I was surprised when a white egret walked past and it didn’t notice me until I got a couple of pics. It was so close I couldn't get the whole bird framed because I was using a 200mm macro lens.

IPB Image

I never figured I'd get a bird pic using a macro lens.

IPB Image

I thoroughly enjoyed my lunch hour today, was very peaceful and relaxing, and good photography practice time as well.

Cheers,

Graham

Nice job - the severed branch actually adds some symmetry to the composition - I like it - next thing you know, National Geographic's gonna come knocking - but I do hope the wild d-fly wasn't too disappointed by your cruel deception - I wouldn't try that same trick on moose or bears

Some more great picts ya got there, that was a beautiful dragon, I have never seen an orange one before, You should submit some of your photos to the Missouri Conservationist its a magazine that has some very nice photos in it much like the ones you have been taking, if you have never seen a copy, shoot me a pm and Ill send ya one, very cool magazine.

Graham you are a tricky devil. The close up is perfect. The symmetry in the wings. How about the engineering on the mounts for those wings. Too good ......

Some more next lunch hour please.

later

Fred

Wow, Graham! You have a real knack for composition. Bird pic was exquisite! That close-up was spectacular! . Those wings are like stained glass windows, gorgeous! Flytime was right, definitely print worthy! You could submit to a lot of diff. magazines and those pics are begging to be entered into photo contests. What camera were you using?

Wow, thank you guys, my face feels a bit warm and flushed, you're making me blush. I really don't think my photos are ready to be submitted to magazines, yet.... Seems to me macro shots are a dime a dozen, I need something to set mine apart. Today I hope to go back to the same spot on the L.A. River in Encino, with some other tied flies. I want to capture some cool shots of insect’s interacting with tied flies. Last night I spent an hour working on wings and materials for tying an orange dragonfly. I think I'll be happy when I get shots of real orange dragons messing around with my imitation. I would be happy later today if I can get a shot of an orange dragon grabbing one of the house flies I tied last weekend. I guess I want to do stuff that’s completely different, and my practice time will help to make this work as high quality as possible. I have to say that my Nikon D200 camera makes this so much easier, 10 mp really helps a lot.

Cheers,

Graham

Well, I just had to go back again today, with some new bait.

IPB Image

I actually lost two small flies today, plucked away by a dragonfly, seriously...

IPB Image

I took many nice photos of the dragon grabing the fly, so I had to try my luck with something bigger...

IPB Image

The attacks were savage, ripping at the wings....

IPB Image

This really was a lot of fun,

IPB Image

Graham

Thank's TerryLee,

I noticed the dragonfly seemed to always attack the wings, here he's trying to chew on one, and show he's the boss, on top...

IPB Image