Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Memquisit

Sucker Spawn

With the autumn season closing on us, I wanted to get a start on tying some flies for the steelhead fishing. I know sucker spawn is very effective, but I'm really having trouble with them.

Any suggestions?

Without knowing what your problem is, the most common problem I have seen is guys trying to add too many loops of material. All you really need to have is 4 to 5 loops, and then I like to use a pick to fuzz out the yarn a little bit for effect. Let me know specifically what you are having a problem, via PM if you like, and I will do a step-by-step for you this evening to show you how I do them.

I know what material you are using but I like to use Globug yarn or angora rabbit yarn.

With the globug yarn I only use a 1/3 to a 1/4 of the strand thickness.

With the rabbit yarn for smaller ones a separate the 2 strand s and just use one of them.

I like leaving a little space between loops to give the material room to move when the fly "fills up" with water.

Frank

I sent a PM, but for everyone else...Glo-bug also makes a micro-yarn that is about 1/8 the width of the standard yarn and made specifically for things like sucker spawn and scrambled egg patterns.

Red, got the PM and will wait to hear from you again. I think am still working at it and making some progress. The micro yarn looks promising and I will see if my local shop has that material.

I learned this pattern while learning to tie crystal meth. you may want to get some diamond braid and try crystal meth. the material is very easy to work with. plus crystal meth is a killer fly

I have been using angora yarn that I picked up from RON at Orleans Outdoor and this stufrf works great.Very easy to use and it comes in 6or8 different colors.The top of the pic is the sucker spawn.IPB Image

Thanks to all for their help and advice.

I've been practicing and am making progress. I needed to...1) use thinner strands of egg yarn...2) although thinner, I needed to cut longer strands...3) I needed to hold the strands much tighter against the hook.

I did much better with a single strand of yarn than with 2 as shown in some diagrams. I'm figuring that if I can tie the single strand, I will then work on the double strand.

I'm off to the fly shop now to get some micro yarn which I understand works well too.

I will let all know how I'm doing, and if I ever figure out how to post a photo, I'll show you.

Memquisit - I'll second the advice to try using only a couple strands of micro-size Glo Bug yarn, or the angora yarn. I know that my sucker spawn patterns got much better when I started using much less material. If you are using the full size version of Glo Bug yarn, you should split it in half a few times to get it down to roughly 1/6th the diameter of the full strand.

Here is a web link showing an easy way to tye sucker spawn.

http://www.lakeerieultimateangler.com/734847.html

First of all, Red, the photos you sent are great. Before I began the post I sat at my table and followed your steps. Best sucker spawn I've tied so far! Thanks.

Letumgo, your photos are also excellent. The coffee stirrer is great idea and I will surely pick up a few to give it a shot.

As so many have advised I am using less strands of yarn, and that has made a big difference. I tried to buy some micro yarn, but the shop didn't have any. I will keep looking though.

I got a report from a stream a little north and in spite of the warm weather, the water has stayed cool and the fish are biting, especially in the morning. My hope is to get up there this week and try out these flies. I'll keep you up to speed on my progress and luck.