Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

my first married wing, having a crap time with my camera.

ive omitted the golden pheasant, i couldnt get it to marry, so i just went with the goose. the tail is too long, and started the hackle about half way up the fly. the wing is high, and my horns went for a crap during the finish. need some feedback please....guess i should include the pic.IPB Image

IPB Image

From this distance it looks great!

As far as I'm concerned your tail is the right length - the wing is short though.

You'll find GP really is much better to work with if you wash it wish mild warm soapy water.

I'd guess looking at the wing that this is goose - though it's harder to get you'll find turkey is much better to work with.

Dave

Exactly what Dave said. Tail is nearly perfect. If anything and as I said, it is in the perfect relm, the tail could actually have been a miniscule bit longer. You could have used a bit of mottled turkey instead of the GP but do as Dave suggested and wash the GP and see if that makes a difference. Even washing twice can't hurt.

thanks guys, ill be trying this on a smaller hook....and one of my turkeys is not going to be happy with me!

my camera seems to like natural lighting, at least i get colour on this one.IPB Image

thanks guys, ill be trying this on a smaller hook....and one of my turkeys is not going to be happy with me!

my camera seems to like natural lighting, at least i get colour on this one.IPB Image

Turkeys, White Turkeys???????????????????

Brewer,

Hey i got white turkey dyed in a variety of colors a few years ago from John Mclain "feathers mc" . if i wanted white turkey thats one place id head to also john shewey sells white as well as other long feathers for wings too.

TIGHT WRAPS

Rick

A very sweet wing with a graceful sweep. Did you say white turkeys?

Great job.....Dave G

i agree, john is the man to talk to about any kind of material, but living in canada, it takes a few days for my paypal to clear, and 2 weeks to get the package, (5 working days to acctually get here, and customs seems to hold the package for about a week), so if i wanted to have a fly or two tied up for the virtual tying meeting on the 9th of september, that wouldnt give me a whole lot of time to play around with the material.

Sign in to follow this