Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
garetjax

Using my cats' fuzz for dubbing?

I also pondered this the other night while my cat was asleep on my lap. Some of you are talking about shedding, and I guess what fur can be salvaged from that. Is it considered a major faux-pas to get it straight from the vine, where the roots are deep? It'll grow back, right?

I was also eyeballing the way that the natural taper of his whiskers lend themselves more so to a drake's tail than the quality paintbrush trimmings that I've been using. I've joked with my wife about having the cat stuffed when he dies to immortalize him, and she'll have no part of it, but if I make some flies now, then conceivably, the little bastard could live forever. Is this wrong?

Been off the site for a long time. I decided to scan the 200 plus posts and see what's there. This post caught my eye. I tie a Beadhead Hogan, named after my son's black Lab. I save the hair after his bath. This gets all the oils and crud out. I spread the hair out to dry and put it in a canister. I slip on a brass bead, wrap a black foundation and dub with the hair. Trim the real long hair. You can also just trim the top and bottom with the sides looking like legs. Our dog is a canine of mixed heritage (read that as mutt). He is a light tan. When I get energetic and the schedule gets pared down, I'll tie some Beadhead Luckies. I have caught many trout on the B2H. Good luck!

I'll be looking around town for bald dogs. :bugeyes:

As the owner of 6 cats of which I would never consider harming in any way, I am able to gain all the dubbing material I can use in a lifetime by simply brushing them. They all love it and if you use the stainless steel brush type of comb it will produce some excellent material as it also collects the loose under-fur that is so soft it is amazing. If using sizzors to cut the fur, be very, very care as to not nick their skin. They tend to become very unfriendly if you do.

As the owner of 6 cats of which I would never consider harming in any way, I am able to gain all the dubbing material I can use in a lifetime by simply brushing them. They all love it and if you use the stainless steel brush type of comb it will produce some excellent material as it also collects the loose under-fur that is so soft it is amazing. If using sizzors to cut the fur, be very, very care as to not nick their skin. They tend to become very unfriendly if you do.

My cat's belly fur does not have loose hair. I tried with a comb already and got nowhere. That's why I suggested a pair of scissors. =)

Sounds like of alot of short hair cats in this group, try a Himalayan (I prefer Hemie)...has long guard hairs and very long fur (not just underfur like many)....no shortage here at all. GREAT blue-creme dubbing...ACK!!

Actually, short hair to medium hair is best for cat fur dubbing. Garetjax is right, though, they don't seem to shed much off their bellies. I get gobs of hair off the back and sides, a good mix of spiky guard hair with soft medium dun underhair. I think my next cat is going to be an orange tiger so I can get some tan.... :rolleyes:

Most cats shed a little bit year round, so combing/brushing should yield enough fur for a dozen flies every week or two. Once a year, though, they do a major shed. When my cat does that, around the first of August, I get a ziplock sandwich bag full! Of course, some cats don't shed nearly as much. I had a black longhair that never seemed to shed. :crying:

If you use whiskers

remember to only cu t one side off at a time

It screws up their equilibirum and they walk into walls for a week

i can't wait til I get where I'm going and set up rabbit hutches again

A couple of white angoras could keep all 7000 members here in dubbing for ever

and their tasty

Pauly