Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
garetjax

Using my cats' fuzz for dubbing?

I'm thinking of using the softer fur behind my cats' ear and the soft fuzz of her tummy hair for dubbing. It's a cream colored fur, really soft, fine and pliable. Do you think that this would be a good substitute for the dubbing you can buy in a fly shop?

I thought about using hair from my Black Labrador but it just seems a little weird. That dog sheds enough on any given day to keep all of us in fur!

We have an all white cat ( one blue eye, one green eye) that is as soft as any rabbit! I would like to use the Petit-Jean dubbing tool with it. Haven't tried her out yet, though!

Lulu (black lab) was really easy to tie with, snipped off a tiny bit of fur from behind her leg (longest area). Figured there had to be some water resistance factor? post-5937-1156569383_thumb.jpg

There are so many cats running around with no fur, they are now classified as a seperate breed. You even see them at cat shows.

I have a brindle boxer, and my 18 yr old has a nice thick head of hair.

(and he sleeps a lot)

Well, I have had marginal success with the hair/fuzz from my cat. I found that the soft belly fur is the best dubbing I have used, as it is very soft and pliable. However, my cat doesn't appreciate it very much. She has learned to run away when she sees me with the scissors now. I have to give her treats in order to nab some fuzz. =(

I thought about using hair from my Black Labrador but it just seems a little weird. That dog sheds enough on any given day to keep all of us in fur!

I used my black lab to ty a springs wiggler a while back ago. I found it to be hard to work with, really slippery.

Lots of us use cat hair for dubbing. It is probably the best dubbing material there is for nymphs, but it works well on dryflies as well.

I too have a gray cat that gives beaucoups of adams/blue dun dubbing. All it takes is a bit of patience. Twice a year she sheds freely. All I have to do is spend some "quality time" with her scratching her back (apparently, shedding itches.) I probably have enough gray dubbing to last the rest of my life.....

Just don't let your wife catch you doing it, and try not to let the scissor cut's show or your dead meat buddy :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: