Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
harleyhunter

Kelly Galloup Interview for Hatches

Hey Guys,

Kely Galloup has also agreed to be interviewed for Hatches Magazine. Kelly Galloup owns The Slide Inn fly shop in Montana.

Kelly has been a fly fishing guide for 27 years. He started guiding in Michigan at the age of 16. He started his fly shop The Troutsman in Traverse City, Michigan, in 1981. He continued to run The Troutsman until the spring of 2002 when he moved to Montana. He is an author and lecturer. His books are Modern Streamers for Trophy Trout (co-authored with Bob Linsenman) and Spinners and Cripples. Kelly has been published by virtually every major magazine in the business and is Editor-at-Large for Fly Fisherman Magazine. Kelly is also one of the hosts of Fly Fish TV on the Outdoor Life Network.

OK guys now its your chance to ask the Mr. Galloup what you want to know from the man himself. Please post all questions here and many will be in the Hatches Interview. Lets make anaother great interview guys.

Best Wishes,

Sam

Where is your favourite place to fish? What is your favourite fly to fish with, and tie? What is your favourite species to fish for? Why did you decide to use the mask and fins to study fish prey and flies? Any tips to make flies more durable and fish appealing? What are your favourite rods/reels/lines for big streamers? I have seen several different step by steps of the zoo cougar, is there a version of your pattern anywhere in print? Being a taxidermist what is the strangest thing you found in a fish? Any advice for someone wanting to start a fly shop? Over the years what flies did you find were the top sellers, or the flies that you sold the most of? Any new flies/books in the making?

Sam you have been coming up with some great people to interview for us. Keep up the good work!!

#1- The methods put forth in "Modern Streamers For Trophy Trout" work best when used from a drift boat where you can cover alot of water looking for active trout. I have used the mothods from a drift boat and when wadeing myself. When you use the jerk strip while wadeing though - can you offer some tips that might help present those methods better for a wadeing angler? and also- when jerk strip retreiving from a boat you say in the book you don't show the streamer to the fish more than a couple casts.....when you are wadeing and limited to "good" spots to present the streamer to the fish in, how long on average will you work those areas over while wadeing?

#2- Having seen many pics of yourself and Bob (Linsenman) whith just plain huge browns from both Michigan waters and other waters- can you (or have you) noticed any difference in behavior in our Michigan browns of say 20plus inches as compared to browns that size outside of Michigan?

Besides trout, what are some of your other favorite species to fish for? Do you do much warmwater fishing when you get the chance?

Come on guys I'm sure there are plenty of you with questions for Kelly Galloup. Lets get them in so we can have another info filled interview to look foward to.

Thanks to everyone who has participated so far! :headbang:

-Sam

How much time do you spend fishing streamers vs. dries and nymphs? Do you find yourself still fishing streamers at times when dries and nymphs will typically be more productive? How did you come up with the jerk-strip, or what inspired you? The jerk-strip reminds me a lot of fishing jerkbaits with spinning gear. I jerk-stripped before I read the Modern Streamers book to immitate a jerkbait more closely, but your tips on full sinkers makes it more productive and easier to fish than with floaters.

When wading, do you find teeny lines and sink-tips with 5'-10' of sinking tip, or even a floating line and a long leader, to be an equally productive and more versatile alternative (allowing you to swing streamers and nymphs better), or do you recommend using a full sinker and a stripping basket?

I've had the opportunity to see Kelly lecture at a few of the Fly Fishing shows here in S.E. Michigan & have also visited the Troutsman while in T.C.

What if anything does Kelly miss about working in Michigan?

What has been the best part of the move to Montana?