Fly Tying
down2earthlv

I think its time to reorganize the bench....

You aiming to clean it up, reorganize or a do a big reno? You look fairly organized. I am still using the kitchen table to tie on, all my stuff is in a large zippered binder except for the feathers. I do have a little wheeled table that will be good when I do finally set it up properly, probably in the winter. Do you have a good work flow ei: access to materials? That is what would drive me nuts?

thats what happens. I have the same problem. But mine is due to a serious lack of space. Im considering getting a few of those tall oranizers, the 5 drawer waist high type, and setting a few sheets of plywood on top of em so it sits at opposing 90' angles at the wall. figure two on each end, and a few smaller ones like you have there on the table itself. That will work better than the sewing desk im tying on now.

Don't kid your self.....you're hooked and the more space you have the more materials you'll buy and the less room you'll have. Than you'll get a bigger space, more materials, have less room, store more and well you get the idea.

Hey that doesn't look too bad. Just need MORE plastic containers, mine are going three high now. You gotta add a good light, one of those sunlight types.

What are those blue books?

I'm surprised no one has been using the old college standby - a 3'x7' door laid across a 2 drawer file cabinet at each end. big surface area with 4 file drawers for storage.

those blue books were given to me by MajestyJA.....it is the complete set of North American Fishing Club reference books, they cover alot of stuff!

The titles on the books are:

Trout Stream fishing stratigies

catfishing stratigies

artificial lures

understanding freswater gamefish

the ultimate fishing book-stratigies for success

NAFC classic fish cookery

Freshwater fishing secrets

fish cookbook journal and tales

walleye secrets

catch fish anywhere, anytime

secrets of the bass pros

NAFC members cookbook

.....and the complete set of 6 collectors coins....

although its a few years old, this is a priceless mass of info.....

a truely amazing gift from an incredible friend.....Thanks again Jeff!!!

I have more plastic bins on the list, but she wont let me buy another because I still have one 'practically empty drawer'.....I took all my reels off my rods and stuck them in there, but she wasn't going for it....I did just get two big phesant skins from Zip....hmmm....

Mine too, I have been an absolute slob latley. Too tired to care, but this thread is making me want to clean up, and get back on track.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Well believe it or not, this is the very topic that got me to join the forum. I've been doing what everyone else has been doing with the plastic drawers and to be honest it has worked up until the past few of years. Everything has changed so much with all the new materials coming out, and as long as they keep the prices reasonable, I'll keep buying them even it means I have 50 different dubbing options when I sit down to tie. The problem now is that there are too many plastic drawers that never seem to look nice, mostly because I've bought them all at different times, so they are made by different manufacturers.

So I've been thinking about building something nice. I've got a space in my house that I could build an L shaped desk that's 8' on one side and 11' on the other. My girlfriend would get to put her sewing machinge on the 8' section and then I'd have the 11' section for tying. I'm looking for ideas from those that are dreamers, or have made their own tying desks. I've looked at some nice ones like this one http://www.stoneycreekflytying.com/the_colorado.htm but won't buy one since it's not large enough. I like the general design of that desk so I was thinking about just taking their design and extending it to the dimesion of the space I have available. Any words of wisdom?

thanks

bart

a can of raid? :hyst: :hyst: Don't tell me you're scared of the bugs crawling off your vise!

:j_k:

:lol:

Thats just to show you how lazy I have been, left a few beer boxes of emptys in my kitchen, and the fruit flies started there own party. I canceled it. That can has been sitting there since late July, soon time to get a grip

Well believe it or not, this is the very topic that got me to join the forum. I've been doing what everyone else has been doing with the plastic drawers and to be honest it has worked up until the past few of years. Everything has changed so much with all the new materials coming out, and as long as they keep the prices reasonable, I'll keep buying them even it means I have 50 different dubbing options when I sit down to tie. The problem now is that there are too many plastic drawers that never seem to look nice, mostly because I've bought them all at different times, so they are made by different manufacturers.

So I've been thinking about building something nice. I've got a space in my house that I could build an L shaped desk that's 8' on one side and 11' on the other. My girlfriend would get to put her sewing machinge on the 8' section and then I'd have the 11' section for tying. I'm looking for ideas from those that are dreamers, or have made their own tying desks. I've looked at some nice ones like this one http://www.stoneycreekflytying.com/the_colorado.htm but won't buy one since it's not large enough. I like the general design of that desk so I was thinking about just taking their design and extending it to the dimesion of the space I have available. Any words of wisdom?

thanks

bart

No way tell your girlfreind she has to sew out in the garage!!! :j_k: Sounds like you have a lot of space, I wish I had more. I bought my corner desk for my computer but now has since been used for tying. My actual tying desk is an old sewing desk with the machine gone. I picked it up at a Salvation Army thrift store dirt cheap. If you can build, have the materials, then you can build to suit your needs. I have a shelf above my desk. Sometimes I wonder why. Things fall off it when I try to get something else. I should remove it and just hang things, like a peg board. Looking forward to what you come up with

Consider a wide shallow drawer to lay out your knecks and saddles. 11' would have ample room. Still would go with the file drawers on either end.

Dubbing

Natural

Synthetic

Long

Short

Find anything - anytime.

later

Fred