Fly Tying

Virtual Fly Tying Classes

I am very excited to announce that FlyTyingForum.com is now hosting "Virtual Fly Tying Classes". This idea has been a vision of mine for quite some time and it is now that I believe the technology and resources are available to make this happen. These virtual classes will be unlike anything that anybody has ever seen or done before and it will revolutionize the way people learn to tie flies. FTF's mission is to "Unite fly tyers around the world" and this new program will allow tyers around the world to learn from one another just as if they were sitting in the same room.

What are "Virtual Fly Tying Classes"?

These classes will be done via special software that I developed and the idea is simple, but as are most things around here it will evolve and will be refined over time. Basically the instructor will plug a camera into a video feed and the students will be able to see the instructor tie in real-time. The students will then be able to communicate with the instructor by plugging in a microphone or via text in the chat room. The instructor (and the other students) will be able to hear your questions or comments and will be able to answer via their own microphone. The good thing is the equipment needed to be an instructor or a student is minimal, any basic web cam and mic would suffice. Now anybody with some basic cheap equipment can teach others from around the world how to tie a fly and everybody can do this from the comfort of their own home.

The Limitations

This technology is in its infancy and with that said it will only get better over time and because we are such an early adopter it is also quite expensive. Each "seat" inside this environment costs money so the amount of people who can attend each class will be limited. Hopefully, the things like the calendar sales and other items will help fund this idea. The media server that I would like to use would cost well over $1000 per year to operate and that is obviously something I cannot fund on my own. When I introduce things like calendars, shirts, hats, etc keep in mind I use those funds to put back into the community.

In Need of Help

In order to make this more than a glorified chat program I need your help. I need people to volunteer their time and help teach some classes. Prior instructional experience is not necessary; all you need is the desire to help others. Like I mentioned above the equipment is quite inexpensive, I just purchase a really nice camera that included a nice headset with built in mic at Wal-Mart for $50. There were several other models that around $20 that would probably more than suffice. If you need recommendations on equipment please feel free to contact me. You do not have to be a technology expert to get this up and running, I have designed the platform to be as easy as possible and I will always be here to help any way that I can. If you have any desire to possibly host a class, please contact me and I will give you more details and give you a tour of the software. I will be hosting the first class to give an idea of what these classes are all about and I hope to see more classes scheduled by others after that.

This is so new that I am sure there will be bumps along the way but I am overwhelmed with excitement when I think about the possibilities. I can only hope that I get some interest and some participation because this is one idea that I cannot do on my own.

I would love to hear comments, questions or ideas that you may have.

Here is a screenshot showing a prototype for the software I am developing, it includes the video, audio and text chat windows.

IPB Image

I for one,having never taken any formal tying classes would be very intersested in this. Plz let me know what else needs to be done. I'll see if there is anything I might be able to do to help out. But this is definately something I would be very interseted in trying to make work.

This sounds like a wonderful idea! I hope to be able to attend the first class and please let me know if there is anything that I can do to help out with this!

I am all for this, and on behalf of all of the FTF members....present and future.... Thanks for all of the hard work and effort you put forth to improve and maintain this site! If there's anything I can do to help, just name it! I'm going shopping for a microphone and a webcam in the next few days....I would love to host one of these events....and I can't wait to participate!

Will thanks alot for taking the time and effort to better the community. Your imagination is endless. :headbang:

I also want to say to other I have tried this new virtual room with Will and it is amazing! Its like watching on eof the fly tying DVDs sold at fly tying shops.

Now if we can just keep Will's cat out of the picture... :hyst: :P

-Sam

Thanks for making the tying classes possible and available. I hope to log on in the near future, as a real beginner tyer. Thanks also to all the experienced tyers who may decide to host a tying class. We need your experience!

I am at a loss for words to describe how awesome this site is! It seemed all-encompassing from the first day I stumbled across it but it keeps growing and developing beyond imagination or expectation. As I have said before "the guys that turn the wheels, the mods, the site set up & philosophy and the positive attitudes displayed by the members here are amazing".

Virtual Fly Tying Classes are one more example of above and beyond! Looking forward to trying one out.

There shouldn't be a shortage of topics or hosts; there is a lot of talent, enthusiasm and willingness to share floating around these forums. I can already see a "Best of FTF... DVD with a blooper reel at the end!

Thank you for your time & effort.

That is an unreal idea man! I don't know where you keep getting your ideas from, but keep it up. I was very impressed with the quality of the site, and to my amazement it just keeps getting better and better. Keep up the great work!

Jay

Hi Will,

What a great idea! If you need Gretchen or me to do some advanced stuff (whatever you would need) let us know. Also, email a list of equipment we would need and how to hook it up. We operate on a cable modem so I assume that would work. We look forward to hearing from you. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Will: Great idea! Thanks for your continued efforts to help folks help each other. Like Al Beatty, I figure I'd benefit from an equipment need list (as specific as necessary) and any instructions on how to hook it up to comunicate with you. Seems like it's never quite as easy to add computer gear as the instructions in the box would have me believe. If there are some general instructions that might help folks, regardless of the particular equipment they buy, maybe it would save you some effort and time to post them.

--Bill

Bill,

"If" this first class that I am hosting is a success and there is no majob malfunction then I will type up a quick guide for future instructors to make things as easy as possible. Of course if the system crashes it is back to the drawing board so I will know more next week. Thanks for the interest.