Fly Tying
Nick Reiniche

stuff for bluegill flies

Mark,

That rubberband really looks lifelike, grub-like; you know how real live grubs and other similar lifeforms appear, kind of moist and greasy. Did you do anything to the band for it to have that appearance?

Thanks,

Ray

Hi Harold,

Yes, I coated the entire rubber body with Fleximent. I let it dry then complete the thorax. Now, you've got to be cautious doing this cause sometime the chemicals in the cement will melt certain rubber bands. Many of the more modern bands can't take this. The rubber bands I use are real rubber. Test them first to make sure they don't melt. It's a good question which I forgot to mention in the previous post. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Mark

I've read quite a few posts about how well a jitterbee works. I have never heard of this fly and don't know what it looks like. Just wondering if anyone could post a picture? :dunno: Thanks!

flykid

Mark,

One last question for you; have you found a particular size of rubber band that works best for this? I really like your fly and am going to do some myself. Also, what size hook is that? I may use several sizes.

Thanks!

Ray

Hi Harold,

The rubber bands I use are about 1/8 inch wide. I cut them, carefully with sharp scissors as shown in the illustration. it takes a little practice to do this. Tie the small end to the hook, and stretch it a little and overwrap it to the bend. bring the thread back over the band and toward the eye. Then I wrap the band forward, gradually decreasing the tension on the it, overlapping the previous section. Practice a bit, and you'll be able to get the cut edge forward to overwrap it and hide it if it's not exactly smooth. Make sure you leave enough room for the thorax and head. I use regular wet fly hooks sizes 10- 12. Usually Mustad 3906 or 3399A and curve the shank with a pair of needle nose pliers. Coating with the Fleximent helps secure the body and gives it that oily appearance. Make sure you let it dry completely before wrapping the thorax. I've showed this to other tiers. Some have added a bead head to it on longer hooks. It works well without it, but for extra weight, a bead might help. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. I'm always willing to assist anyone.

IPB Image

Let me know how you make out. Practice to get it right.

Mark

Thanks for posting the picture Fly Tyer Guy. I might have to try these flies for some bluegill. What did you use for the body of the popper? The flies look great and I will definately try tying some.

Thanks Again!

Fkykid

It Is foam sheets from wal-mart glued together with 3M 77 spray I got from meijer's (You can find it at almost any craft store). I use 4 sheets of foam, glue two Sheets together yellow and black repeat so then you have two pieces of double layer foam put both between two sheets of parchment paper, And set a heavy weight on top(A stack of books works good) Let it dry overnight,

Next Day Glue The Two Pieces of foam together yellow on black, Then you should have a piece of foam 4 sheets thick, yellow-black-yellow-black. Put Back In Parchment, Let Dry Overnight

Next Day Use A Razor Blade and cut the edges off the block of foam, so that you will not have any edges in your bodys

Use A hole punch and a hammer, punch out cylinders, Push a needle through them.

Tie the tail on a hook,Whip finish, Apply super glue to the hook shank, quickly shove the body on the hook, Wait for it to dry

Popper done!!!

Fly tyer Guy

wow tom thanks for this link, i think ive died and gone to heaven. great site. :yahoo:

You might want to try the warm water fly tyer.

( I hope I entered the link right). He has a lot of gill patterns. I have had success with the

hum bug in black and yellow, and the gill getter. Best of all they are quick and easy ties.

tight lines

Tom

IPB Image

Warmwater Fly Tyer: The Premier Warmwater Fly Tying Journal

This is quite a site, as mentioned above, with many, many links, resources and patterns. Ward Bean, the site owner, is a Whiting Pro Team Member so he naturally uses Whiting Feathers on many of the fly patterns found on WarmWaterFlyTyer.

Above and below are samples of the flies he has patterns, insturctions and step-by-step photos of in his site.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Fly Pattern Directory

Enjoy!

Ray

Randy Leonpacker's Jitterbee's, http://www.laflyfish.com/flies/jitterbee.php are great, but so are the late Micheal Verduin's Cap Spiders.

Instructions for the Cap Spider can be found under "Fly of the Month" at the Piney Woods Fly Fishers website:

http://home.sprynet.com/~waltermc/

However, one of the basic articles that every bream fisherman needs to read is Glen "Catch" Cormier's article on fishing the "Vertically Oriented Strike Indicator (VOSI)", http://www.laflyfish.com/flies/vosi.php

Years of field tests by the Red Stick Fly Fishers in the bream-filled waters of south Louisian have proven the effectiveness of VOSI's. Utilization of VOSI's will greatly increase your number of bluegill strikes with almost any pattern, and VOSI's are critical if ya' want to consistently catch crappie.