Fly Tying
Joe Hard

Fall Browns

Hey guys pretty nice looking browns, I get some pretty nice ones

here in quebec canada. nothing as big as some of thoses, but 6to8lbs

not uncommon. I've seen larger ones around the Dams but not hooked

one yet. whenever I do get my camera set up I'll post some nice pics.

still my fovarite fly patterns any time of the year for browns is either

the muddler in different colours or the sculpin :o :o

Hey pickin6ofem,

Here's a link to a local fly shop in Bridgeport, lots of hogs caught in that part of the Sierra. The sad part is the big freezer outside the front door, has a glass cover, and people keep their frozen hogs in there, some don't even get mounted, just sit there on display with their name tag on it...

Check out the pics form the E. Walker River as well, some more kewl kali river hogs.

link to Twin Lakes hog pics

Graham

Well, I didn't get any pictures of my 3 browns. Not that skilled at taking pictures of myself and trying to get the fish back into the water at the same time.

I did get a few pictures though.

Here is a rainbow that greeted us when we first pulled into the confluence of the Gunnison and the North Fork.

IPB Image

Here is a picture of my buddy Jim.

IPB Image

And here is a picture of my other buddy Cody with a nice brown.

IPB Image

All in all, I had a great day. Cody caught about 100 fish and I caught 3. My biggest was about 14" long so nothing to brag about.

I brought both my fly rod and spinning gear. I didn't catch a thing on the fly but my trusty #7 Brown Trout Rapala never fails.

all depends on where you are at I suppose...14" are a little tougher to come by here in Ohio. Cody's is a nice looking fish!

Gram,

The pattern with the chartreuse body did you also mention that you tied it in a blue and violet color? If you did where did you buy the blue and violet larve lace? I wrote to them and they said they don't have that colors available. What did you use?

Hey Brokenrod,

My local fly shop has a number of brands of plastic ribbing. I have most of it packed away right now for tomorrows flight back east. I have an empty pack in front of me, Cascade V-Rib. I think the blue was a different brand.

I didn't have many colors of the larva lace so I just used clear for all mine and wrapped whichever color of krystal flash I wanted it to end up ender the clear larva lace. Another way I tied some is to take and wrap the colored flash material, then wrap pearl mylar over top of that, looks sweet!

Gram,

Thanks for the information. Can you let me who the other manufacturer is. Thanks.

AlexC.

Thanks for another idea on how to come up with a different pattern.