Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mikeq

How many coats of head cement???

Hi!

Generally how many coats of head cement are applyed to a fly and what is the normal drying time?

Regards, Mike

Alright, I probably didnt wrap the pheasant tail tight enough then. Still 20 fish on 1 fly of my creation is no complaint, just thought maybe the nymph went because of the head cement. Thanks for the help.

from 0 to 4, and from as soon as its dry enough to tie on my line to 24 hours between coats, (recommended). If I tie up a fly that will not be fished for a while or a show fly, 24 hours between coats, and several coats as stated. Fishing flies get a coat of thin head cement, to penatrate the thread wraps, let dry 24 hours, maybe another, but I like sally hansens to finnish as it is very tough stuff

20 fish on one fly is real good. I find the more a fly gets chewed up the better it works, sometimes. I think its really just when you tie up a pattern of your own creation its breaking the ice with it. Then you know it works you have more confidence in that fly, more than one in your box that you tied that is the same pattern. Sooner or later, the fly is no longer fishable or its lost. I tied up a modified black ghost caught a nice (to me trophy) brown, retired the fly in my hat, tied another almost exact fly but could not get a fish to budge. Looking forward to a look at your pattern

All I did was start out like a pheasant tail nymph, same tail and body, but then i made my thorax a lot longer and not as bulky and like normal covered the top half in turkey tail for the wing case, first cast and every following cast they were smash it!

The answer to your question on how much cement to use, is none, just tie in 2 whipfinish knots, and your done, they will hold 10 times better than head cement!

Well I must be overly concerned about a fly coming apart (but I'm generally saltwater or bass fishing)...

I whip finish every head and use 1 drop of super glue for the head cement. For show, I might add several applications of Sally Hansons Hard as Nails for gloss.

I used to put head cement on every fly when I first started . Now I don't put it on unless I'm doing some show fly.

The flies don't seem to have a problem falling apart. Got one that's over 10 years old with no cement, tossed it out there last month and got one on the first cast, used that fly all day and it's still fine. I must admit this fly is looking USED, but it still works!

A friend of mine that's been tying production and show flies said nope for fishing flies unless you just feel like it. Put a good whip finish and it's good to go.

He puts two coats on his fancy flies.

What ive been doing lately is TWO whip finishes and a coat of head cement, i swear those flys will never come apart.