Fly Tying
bart

Scuds

So I've fished scuds for over a decade. I've pretty much used the same pattern the whole time, though it has morphed slightly over the years. It's really nothing special, but it catches me plenty of fish. I'm always looking to improve though and am interested in seeing other peoples realistic representations. The folks up in British Columbia have done a fine job recording much about the scud in still water fisheries, here's a good example. However, I don't fish stillwaters and was wondering if anyone tell me which scud I should be trying to imitate here on the wester rivers? And, of course, let's see your flies!

Hi bart ,

In my country one of the bigest trout river is chalkstream Zlatna Panega.

There is good population of wild brown trout and rainbows from nearly breeding trowt farm.

There are a lot of freshwater shrimp In this river:

IPB Image

IPB Image

This fly imitation sometimes is reason for success.

There is my imitation on curve shrimp hook N10- 12 , heavy weigh with lead wire:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

All the best,

Michael Stanev

Sofia, Bulgaria

Michael Stanev-

Do you have a complete recipe for that scud you tie? I love it, it's gotta be one of my favorite scud imitations I've ever seen! :bugeyes:

Michael Stanev-

Do you have a complete recipe for that scud you tie? I love it, it's gotta be one of my favorite scud imitations I've ever seen! :bugeyes:

Hi Alex C,

Yes, I will tell you complete steps for that scud - but my english is bad and I find it difficult to write.

Therefore I will take a photo (step by step )when tie a fly again - in monday evening I will share photos to you.

Regards,

Michael

P.S.This is another photos of my shrimps

IPB Image

Step by step photos would be great, but I just need the recipe. I really wanna know what you're using for the shellback, and what you're coating it with.

Those ARE gorgeous shrimp, mikostanev. Beautiful attention to detail. I just picked up some curved caddis hooks (size 8) that I am going to try tying my first shrimp and scuds on. I look foreward to seeing more of your work.

Hello all, I will try for steps :

materials

curved hook - 8, 10 or 12,

lead wire,

olive or orange antron dubbing,

partrige or light brown cock featers,

scud back

monofilament 0.12

black or tan thread 8/0

orange or brown marker

-----------------------------

Wait until I upload some pictures.

Greetings,

Michael

Michael, those are fantastic looking scuds. Looking forward to the pictures. Batman, your right-they would be killers on the White.

Dave