Fly Tying
Memquisit

Stick on eyes question

Do stick on eyes stay on the fly for a length of time? I have recently come across a minnow pattern using such eyes. In the past in tying a Clouser I've used dumb bell eyes and 2 connected beads from bead chain, but have not used stick ons.

I don't how well they would stick, or for how long.

Without glue most will fall off before you even tie the fly on your line...with glue it can vary. They adhere differently to different materials, but generally just be sure to hold the eye tightly in place as the glue sets. If you are using a super glue (such as Zap A Gap or Fisherman's Glue) then you will actully feel the heat under your fingertip as the chemical reaction takes place and the bod is formed.

Hi Memquisit,

Redwings 1 is correct, the only thing my stick-on-eyes will stay stuck to is paper and that doesn't do much good on a fly. He is correct about using crazy glue or something similar. The one good thing about the stick on eyes is using the sticky side to stick the eye on the tip of a bodkin so I can place it on the glued spot I prepared on the fly without sticking my fingers to the fly. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

The one good thing about the stick on eyes is using the sticky side to stick the eye on the tip of a bodkin so I can place it on the glued spot I prepared on the fly without sticking my fingers to the fly.

I'll file that excellent tip under "Why didn't I think of that?" ;) B)

Another trick is to bend the stick-on eye into this shape < > because they will fit better around a round shape, like this:

< O > instead of this | O |

Apply the adhesive of your choice before installing the stick-on eye.

If you are tying heads that will use the stick-on eye and then get covered withe epoxy, another trick is to overwrap the eyes with a few wraps of clear mono thread. It will disappear after the application of the epoxy.

Have fun!

When I use those stick on eyes I put epoxy over them to lock them in.

I have also put a thin layer of clear silicone over them instead.

Never had one come off after that.

Thanks for the advice. I did get to the store and bought ONE package of stick on eyes. I have some super glue on hand and will try that.

Correct me if I'm wrong...I will apply a dab of super glue to the fly, then set the eye in place.

I hope this works because the body of the fly is looking good and definitely looks like a minnow. The eyes will make it "irresistible"! :yahoo:

Another trick when using stick-on-eyes on deer hair heads is to take a soldering iron and use it to create a little cavity in the hair where the eyes are to be placed. This creates a nice little cup for the glue and it ends up recessing the eyes into the head a bit for a better appearance.

-- Mike

Guess I'll be the "different" one here. I started useing the 3D "prizim" stick on eyes mainly because the doll eyes even with glue kept coming off. I never glue the prizim stick on eyes and I used the hell out of them for 2 weeks straight in July catching smallmouth&pike and never had one come off. The ones I bought were from Orvis and when you stick them to EP fiber you cant hardly even pull them off by hand. Dont know how they work on deer hair yet, but on a fiber material they hold excellent.

i use epoxy - especially if i plan on epoxying the head.

the trick however, is to secure the eyes with glue first and let that dry or you'll have a sticky mess applying epoxy on the head at the same time as you try to secure the eyes.