Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
CapeBSalar

Cool Mayfly

Over the past month there have been several mayfly hatches here in my town. While there is no fishing right in town there was lots of insect activity.

A couple days at my work saw hundreds of mayflies hatching outdoors and alot of them would come in through open doors and the whole foyer and front area had shucks and duns all over the ceilings and walls. It was neat. Everyone would exclaim, my god look at the bugs, this is gross.....I would then enter into a deep conversation about mayflies, their life cycle and the importance of them to trout for food and that they were no threat to public health and they didn't bite. I'm serious, people were outraged that they were indoors.....funny.

Anyways, this picture was taken in my house on a closet door. Similar to the other mayflies that hatched at work.

enjoy!

post-1500-1158163058_thumb.jpg

...alot of them would come in through open doors and the whole foyer and front area had shucks and duns all over the ceilings and walls.

CBS-

It isn't my intent to get unduly technical here, but your photo shows a spinner (imago) lifestage and the just departed exoskeleton its dun (subimago) lifestage. The term hatch (emergence) is customarily used to describe metamorphosis from the nymphal (larval) lifestage to dun (subimago) lifestage which takes place somewhat earlier.

Excellent photo of the subimago and imago. (Ephemeroptera is the only insect order with a winged immature stage, i.e., a winged immature undergoes one final molt to the reproductive adult stage). Hey Roger, the expert hatch guy, would you say this is Isonychia bicolor? They usually come out in August and September in Lower Peninsula trout streams (e.g., Pere Marquette River). (I always need a specimen on hand, and often under the microscope, to make good IDs).

Cheers, Ethan

BTW, the spider picture above - looks (morphologically speaking, that is) very much like the spider that in the topic "I only have 4 of these cuties in my yard this year..., Spidey." Could they indicate where this spider was located? (General geographic location, that is).

Cheers, Ethan

...Hey Roger, the expert hatch guy, would you say this is Isonychia bicolor?

Ethan-

Well, my first thought was Siphlonurus female imago. Wouldn't think it to be Isonychia bicolor as it doesn't have the characteristic dark colored fore legs with light colored middle and hind legs. However, the bottom line is, I'm really not sure what it is. Perhaps someone else will recognize it.

Hey, CapeBsalar, Interesting spider you have there! I wonder if he is closely related to my Alberta spideys? Mine have pronounced humps on each top-side of their abdomens.

Here is an address to the Royal Musuem of Albertas' Jewel Spider page. http://www.royalalbertamuseum.ca/natural/i...aq/jewelspd.htm

I absolutely love those Spiders. Want to get a vid stream of one of them capturing and eating a hopper.

Anyone suggest a more technically indepth spider site?

:blink: :huh: :o :unsure: That spider scares the s%!t outta me, the mayfly is cool though!! I hope the spider is dead, that thing was big enough, that if it was at my house, he would met the Mossberg!!!

nope, he's very alive and even has a few friends around of similar size. They are harmless and eat alot of bugs, so as long as he stays out of my house, I'm good. LOL!

Hey, CapeBsalar,

Goergous spider, I'm quite sure that "he" is a "she", though! Do you have color variations greys to tan or mottled browns in your yard or are they all like this pic? The males are usually so much smaller that they hardly look like the same species except for color!