Fly Tying
Bone

Dead Duck

Today I found a dead female duck at work today. I don't know how it died, but it has no bit marks or anything. I am planning on taking it home to use the feathers for tying. Can anyone tell me what are the process of removing the feathers would be. What are the best parts of the feathers that I should be aware of.

Good Day,

Hmmm, make sure you take precautions. Although possible it died of old age, may be more likely it was sick or maybe ingested a toxin. Like any wild animal, just be careful. I would pluck the feathers unless you were planning on skinnng it. Lastly, you might want to check you state regulations on this. You might be treading into troubled water as duck are federally protected (ie federal duck stamps).

Steelie

Did you consider it might have died of Avian Flu- "Bird Flu"? I'd get rid of it as soon as possible!

Good Health and Best from Nashville-

Stack Scoville

:lol: :ph34r: Yea man, I dont think I would chance it, I would just put it in a box and mail it to Steeldrifter, or Smalliehunter!! :hyst: :hyst: :lol:

I would actually call your local health department. With all the nasty stuff going around like the bird flu they might want to run tests on it. So I would'nt handle it, and call your health dept.

Here in PA, they are testing all dead birds found for West Nile Virus; Several birds have tested positive. YOu can buy a cured, clean, bug free, skin at cabelas for way less hassle.

Conehead

don't you dare waste that duck! Listen to me for a second ! You won't get caught if you keep your mouth shut. You didn't kill it so welcome the opportunity. I say skin it and use my taning recipe. It will kill any infections that the dead duck may have, and use rubber gloves. If you can't find it in the archives then let me know and I'll give it to you.