Fly Tying

March 26th-29th Baldwin Steelhead Outing

QUOTE (Old Injun @ Feb 10 2004, 06:13 PM)
Shoe;
if there aren't enough people, I can get another to come along if it isn't a problem with the others. headbang.gif

Jerry, the only night that isn't to capacity is Friday and possibly Monday if we rent the other cabin.

Dan, as far as staying in the lot, I can't make that call. None of us have ever stayed there and I'm not sure of the rules or layout of the place. I highly doubt that the owner would make a "bed check". If there's a problem, you may have to stay at GC or at BBT????? dunno.gif

That wouldn't be a problem. Actually have stayed at both places before. I think I know of another place I could stay. I'll talk to Bob to.

Thanks

Stelmon, I'll know as the date gets closer but I may have room in my camper for you if funds are tight. Cost is $5 a night for guests. I'll let you know if you are still without a room.

Stel,

I plan on making it that weekend, and If I do we'll be camping at "Timber Creek " just west of town (Branch/Wallhalla area, $3/night or $5/week for passes and they're good for most all of the accesses too). Always welcome to pitch it with us. Hell, I may even let you sneak in a beer if no one's lookin'. biggrin.gif

Al

A little behind with you all,But i will make it up for this.Stel if i can get the keys to inlaws brothers place there should be room if not i will be stuck in blazer also.Will try to get a OK a soon as possible.

tt

Shoe, hate to be a pest, but I noticed you wrote Baldwin steelhead outing. I teach at Baldwin High School in Pittsburgh or is this a different Baldwin. I help out with a fly fishing club they have there called "Family Tyes" Familiar with it? I also steelhead fish up Erie enough since I am only 2 hrs. drive and my mother in law lives in erie (so I stay there from time to time). That is if you are talking steelhead fishing in Erie. Give me some more details and if you are talking erie, I may drive up and fish for a day or two (staying at m-i-l's house).

Sorry Bryanfly it is a different Baldwin

The outing is for the Pere Marquette River in Michigan.

dunno.gif

OSD.

Looking forward to the trip! I got some rod and reel suggestions but am now wondering about waders? Am I better off getting one pair for cold weather and one for warmer? Breathable or neoprene? Thanks for any suggestions.....

Hunter,

I have both and it would take a cold day in hell to get into the neos.

Once you have worn breathables it's very hard to go back. I think layering some fleece, sweatpants and long johns will make the cold tolerable.

Sorry Bryan. Didn't mean to confuse you dunno.gif

Do tell us about your Baldwin!

I would agree and say go with the breathables. I have not touched my neos in three or four years. Wear some long-johns and some fleece and you should be good to go.

Anyone hear of Family Tyes?

It is a group of adults and older students who mentor new people (students and adults) into the art of fly fishing. They have a rod building class, fly tying class and take some incredible fishing trips. I am lucky to be one of the mentors with this club. Check out there website if you want: www.familytyes.com

OK, leaning towards breathables....... In regards to cold, they are the way to go given that I can wear layers under them. How about the not so cold days? Warm enough to not want to wear too much but at the same time not being able to stand not wearing something? Is there a "thickness" that I want for breathables if there is a thickness? Sorry, not trying to ask dumb questions, just trying to get the best ideas that I can before I buy something...... WOuld rather buy the best thing the first time out. Thanks for the suggestions!!

Neoprenes are hot no matter what thickness they are in the summer. Breathables don't have a thickness rating that I know of.