Fly Tying

Flies Tied Per Week

How many flies on average do you tie a week  

272 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I average 2 dozen a week, My summers are consumed running camps for kids, so I have about a 3 month period where I rarely sit at the bench. I only fish a few times june to august.

During the winter months I make it up with hours. Example: I found a hot fly for one of the local streams, Tied about 3 dozen during the summer (3-4 at a time). This winter I'll knock off about 4-5 dozen for next year.

Conehead

heres my post to that investment poll

hows over $5,000.00 spent on hooks from Ron reinhold in the last 18 months sound? my recent order from Jens Philgaard in denmark alone which i'm awaiting now was $2,600.00 . this is only one of four orders i have made from him. macaw covet pairs-$3,500.00. hell i spent $1,150.00 for a dam cotinga cayana thats no bigger than a black bird. $30,000.00 wouldn't replace the materials i have here and i've only been tying about 18 or 19 months. i'm tying a fly about every 3 to 5 days now but i've slowed down alot. not because i'm tying less but because the work has become more elaborate once i've learned new things that take time to do. let me be the first to welcome anyone jumping into the fully dressed atlantics by saying, WELCOME TO THE DARK SIDE .

Bud

I go in spurts. Usually heavy right before a trip. Or its building a new rod or turning a rod insert or something on a lathe. I like new challenges. Was thinking about trying to make some of my own hooks just for fun. Can't find much info on it. I know the general process but it would be nice to talk with someone who has don it.

Ted

QUOTE (Bud Guidry @ Sep 8 2005, 06:14 PM)
heres my post to that investment poll

hows over $5,000.00 spent on hooks from Ron reinhold in the last 18 months sound?  my recent order from Jens Philgaard in denmark alone which i'm awaiting now was $2,600.00 . this is only one of four orders i have made from him.  macaw covet pairs-$3,500.00.  hell i spent $1,150.00 for a dam cotinga cayana thats no bigger than a black bird.  $30,000.00 wouldn't replace the materials i have here and i've only been tying about 18 or 19 months.  i'm tying a fly about every 3 to 5 days now but i've slowed down alot.  not because i'm tying less but because the work has become more elaborate once i've learned new things that take time to do.  let me be the first to welcome anyone jumping into the fully dressed atlantics by saying,  WELCOME TO THE DARK SIDE . 

Bud

shocking.gif shocking.gif shocking.gif Where the heck do you get all that money? $5000 for hooks bugeyes.gif I don't think I've spent that on all my fishing gear combined over the years. I think if I had that much money I wouldn't be here. I'd be to busy fishing.

I have never tied a fly (altough i have a kit on the way hence why i was browseing the fourm) but i have about 3 fly boxes packed full and one not so full. have been fly fishing in alberta for about 4 years. And i have to say i have lost VERY few flies possibly 2 dozen. i cant see paying that much on materials in one drop. i understand over years have to build up an inventory. i mean i have well over 250,000.00$ in computer equipment, 2 years or newer but that is my buisness. When you purchase that many hooks, i just assuming your selling them?

I Also am catching fish (on the bow river if you have the right setup you cant help not to) and some of them are rather large. But the fish are not that picky for some reason. using a 0x or 2x leader is not uncommon, and your risking your equipment fishing a rod smaller than a 5 weight.

hows over $5,000.00 spent on hooks from Ron reinhold in the last 18 months sound? my recent order from Jens Philgaard in denmark alone which i'm awaiting now was $2,600.00 . this is only one of four orders i have made from him. macaw covet pairs-$3,500.00. hell i spent $1,150.00 for a dam cotinga cayana thats no bigger than a black bird. $30,000.00 wouldn't replace the materials i have here and i've only been tying about 18 or 19 months. i'm tying a fly about every 3 to 5 days now but i've slowed down alot. not because i'm tying less but because the work has become more elaborate once i've learned new things that take time to do. let me be the first to welcome anyone jumping into the fully dressed atlantics by saying, WELCOME TO THE DARK SIDE .

While not all of us have lost their minds to the extent that Bud has laugh.gif , this can be a VERY expensive hobby. My collection of salmon fly "stuff" probably is in the thousands, I try not to think about it too much. You don't have to invest that much and I would never recommend that someone cross over to the "dark side" as some of us have. If you're tying flies to take fishing on the weekend, this hobby is really very reasonable when compared to spending $100 for greens fees at the golf course.

QUOTE (SmallieHunter @ Sep 6 2005, 11:26 PM)
2003? Wow somebody dug really deep to dig this one out of the archives. The site was barely 1 month old when that topic was started blink.gif

Yea but this thread looks like it's getting a lot more hits now than it did then blink.gif

QUOTE (CjCalls @ Sep 9 2005, 09:45 AM)
QUOTE (SmallieHunter @ Sep 6 2005, 11:26 PM)
2003? Wow somebody dug really deep to dig this one out of the archives. The site was barely 1 month old when that topic was started  blink.gif

Yea but this thread looks like it's getting a lot more hits now than it did then blink.gif

I'm sure it is, we only had 12 members back then unsure.gif

Hi Guy & Gals,

I sent a reply that I don't always tie flies every week. Some weeks I tie 10 dozen per day (while working on an order) and another week I tie one fly for a magazine article (we often make more from the article than we do from the "weeks' worth of tying.") I consider ALL of my tying as COMMERCIAL because I am paid for the flies OR the words. Yes, I know I'm in a different tying situation that some of your are but....! Take care & ....

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

doing ~2-3 dozen a day right now, as I'm working on replacing the nymphs, streamers, etc. with ones tied with non-toxic weight.

under normal circumstances, when I'm fishing regularly, I'd say 1-2 doz a week.

I chose the first option but ....

You did not choose a poll choice to vote against. Please go back and ensure you click on one of the radio buttons next to the choice you wish to vote for.

So I had to take 1-10.

I tie pretty much every night that I'm home. I'll get home from the office between 630 and 7, make a drink and tie two or three flies just to unwind. Then I can enjoy the evening.

If the weather is bad during the winter (or summer when its 100 and 99% humidity) I might spend a half a weekend day at the vice and tie 3 or 4 dozen flies. Or I can go the other way and get involved in some intricate deer hair bug or spinner/fly concoction and spend 4 hours making 2 lures. I give away about 250 flies a year at various functions, meetings and shows so I'm always low on the ones I like best (like Foxee Red Clousers). To add to the injury, if I tie a particularly colorful deer hair bass bug my wife will quickly comandeer it for her office where she has about three dozen very intricate experiments that she took 'because they are pretty'.

Joe C.