Fly Tying

Flies Tied Per Week

How many flies on average do you tie a week  

272 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi Will,

During my tying season (winter) I try to tie at least 8 dozen a day. By the time summer rolls around I'm ready to go fishing and seldom tie except a few at the cabin on the weekends for my own fishing. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

i try to tie everyday...not just to fish, but to relax and clear my ever turbulent mind...idle hands are the devil's workshop and I have scars to prove it. Tying allows me to be creative, to feel useful, and to achieve things on a more spiritual level than just making a fly.

I have to agree with Big Daddy Hubbard.

I usually tie one or two a day. I would not make it very well with tying hundreds of the same fly let alone tying 10 flies of the same pattern. I like to experiment and be creative.

I like it best when there is no noise in the house and my Wife and dog are in bed. Total Quiet. :D

About all of my Flies are of the Soft Hackle variety and I try to come up with ones that fits my environment, strictly the Mad River in Ohio. I like mostly fishing small for large or small Trout. I really got the bug (pardon the pun) when I caught my first Trout on one of my own patterns. Now when I go out I usually make less than 20 casts and I am done for the day and that is being on the River for an hour and a half. It is just being able to get out there, sit on the bank and watch what is going on around me with NO Telephones, NO TVs, NO Computers and as a matter of fact, Anyone else. Just Quiet.

I found this at the top of the list, so I shouldn't get credit for resurrecting it.

I noticed that there is no choice for "Not nearly enough", which is where I fall in. I'd love to tye more, I just can't seem to find the time.

When the salmon and sea trout are in full swing i can tie maybe 50+ flies a week if friends want me to tie for them too as the rivers around here are often weedy and flies get lost almost every day. I was fishing the lower Brora the other day and lost 3 flies in about 9 hours. Boy that was a long day... up and out of the house by 6am, whipped out the vise at lunch time... my arms are still dead!

As for the trout side of things, i generaly tie "ofseason" as a means of something to do.

Stu

for me it depends, latly i have been trying freestyles, which take a while, but before that i was tying about 3 dozen a day, sometimes more, once in one sitting i tied 3 dozen of a livecycle fly, meaning 3 dozen nymphs, 3 dozen emergers, and 3 dozen dries. i am pretty stocked up righ now :)

I generally tie in spurts, maybe a dozen one week and a hundred the next, depending upon whether I am tying for my box of someone else's. I travel a fair amount and bring my gear along; may tie 20-30 Adams parachute bodies on the road and finish the hackle when I get back to the bench.

It's a tough question. Due to an unfortunate recent addiction to archery, I actually only tied maybe 2 dozen flies in as many years...luckily, I had so many freakin' flies tied already that I only returned to the bench in ernest this week, and I didn't cut back my fishing much during that time! Now it's time to restock, even though i have dozens that I have never fished yet.

G'day. Wow, some invest a lot of money, I originaly thought, when reading this thread but, then I thought about what I have spent on fishing, fly fishing & flytying over the years.

I have 135 fishing rods 32 of which are fly rods (all get used) and a similar number of reels.

Over the years I have bought many tying vises but only have 7 at the moment (I've got a Nor-Vise coming though).

I have, over time, collected more fly tying bits & pieces & ingredients than any normal sane person would consider necessary.

The problem with having so much gear is being able to find it at a moment's notice when I want to to a particular fly or, forgetting I even have the necessay ingredients & going out & buying some more.

During a normal week I would probably tie up to 100 (sometimes more) flies but most are for other people.

I don't like to commit to tying flies for other people all the time as it sometimes becomes a chore & when that happens the enjoyment goes out the door.

Warren, Australia.

I try to tie for a hour or hour and a half a day. When I'm in the grove with a known pattern it's eight to twelve flys a day. When I am creating a new pattern it is maybe four a day as some are reties.

I voted 1 - 10 flies per week, but I'm referring only to the tying season, ie.. the winter months. I don't tie much the rest of the year. Maybe a few during the spring if I'm short on something.

It depends on the pattern I am tying. Some of them take longer and some are faster. I can do from 10 to over a 100 in a week.

The main thing is the relaxation I get from tying.

Crappie

Tying is my form of relaxation and my artistic outlet.I tie flies to fish with I tie flies for swaps and friends and I also began tying realistics.Each fly I tie is important to me.I want them to be useful and I want the person To whom I gave the fly to see that it was made with care ,not just thrown together.

Down south where I live flyfishing is slow to take root.So while fishing if someone asks what I'm catching all the fish on I'll give them a couple of flies and offer them the use of one of my rods and after give them the flies to keep.Some times later on I'll see these guys again and they'll be toteing their own fly rods.Man thats a good feeling.