Fly Tying
sniksoh

flies for largemouth bass

does anyone know some good flies that are irrisistable to largemouth bass? i am fairly new to tying so i really suck at spinning deer hair i am looking for any largemouth bass flies exept for the spun deer hair ones.

If you're still getting the feel for tying check out clouser minnows, wooly buggers, and bunny leeches. All 3 are really easy to tie and are very effective for bass as well as many other species.

I don't have any images on my work computer to upload, but my favorite overall largemouth bass fly is Garside's soft hackle streamer. I tie it in chartreuse and white (bright days) or purple and gray (overcast days) on a size 2 to 2/0 4xl hook. This fly is also a good candidate for a tube fly. It's been a very good pattern for LM for me over the years.

Joe C.

Good Day,

ha ha... nice pics Graham... kind of remind me of that bass guy from Georgia with the fishing show.... Hank Parker?

You know, if I had not seen it myself... a few years ago my youngest brother caught a largemouth about the same size as Grahams on the ol' simple bluegill black rubber spider! I was beyond words!

But back on topic... man, too many to chose from! Poppers, streamers, nymphs, etc...

However, I like, basic foam head poppers mostly in white and black. Purple bunny leeches. Large dragonfly nymphs. And several patterns of my own design that have yet to make it to the patterns area... one or two I am holding off on until after the FTF tying contest... :devil:

Another thing you could do is check on sites like Orvis or Cabela's for instance, or any other that sells fly selections, and check out their collection or selection of flies for bass, or any other fish for that matter. I refer specifically to the boxed collection of oh six to a dozen flies. There must be a good reason they chose these specific flies out of all they offer...

Steelie

I think white is a key color for bass, imitates baitfish. A nice simple fly is dumbell eyes on a hook, white chenille and lots of white rubber legs all over it... Fish it on the bottom like a jig...

Graham...That bass outing of yours still gives me chills! The size and quantity of bass caught is impressive. Are you going to hit the lake this Fall? Those big boys should be fattening themselves up for the long SoCal winter!

Enjoy your East Coast Brownie excursion...take lots of photos.

Later. Thom

Hi Roy,

It's unweighted and I have had good succes fishing it with a Teeny tip taper 175. The lakes here are very clear, often the bass can be seen rising up to check out the fly, sometimes they follow along side, closely examining it, would lick it if they had a tougue, but a few quick strips to pull it away from the bass is often what makes them strike it.

Sometimes I fold the MJ head back over the head of fly when fishing it very deep. To get the most action from the head, cut of the bottom of the head at a 45 degree angle, really makes it wiggle from side to side...

Graham

this is a simple pattern. Tail is just 6-10 hackel feathers. Then palmer a white hackle or two. and then a red hackle in front. I have had good luck with black and red also.

post-5673-1158963534_thumb.jpg

Tight lines and good luck.

Those are some great fish graham :bugeyes:

Sniksoh, trying new patterns is great and fun but don't give up on the deer hair. If spinning isn't working out, try stacking. Fishing topwater deer hair bass bugs is too much fun to give up on it, and I've seen some really big topwater bass caught around my neck of the woods lately on these things -- a friend of mine caught an 8 lber on one 3 days ago, I caught a 5 1/2 lber on one last month, and another regular caught a 10+lb bass on one last month. Serious bass. All on the surface on deer hair diver-style flies.

-- Mike

you need a 4/0 or 5/0 hook.....something worth buying.... tie on some purple (or purple barred) zonker strips, Trim them to the 7-8 inch range, tie it to a 14 lb leader.....and hope your rod can handle it! Add a mono weed guard and braided leader to a very stiff rod and flop it into the places you'd never cast a spinning rod......just remember to hold on tight!

Great pics, graham.

I would get some rabbit strip zonkers and look up the three "working with rabbit" patterns that smalliehunter has written for Hatches: bunny leech, bonker zonker, double bunny.

You can't go wrong!