Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
stony

What's your favorite material

I would pick a hares mask. You can use it for everything, even dry fly hackle! just put the gaurd hairs into a dubbing loop. or, take really fluffy fur and use t like CDC.It is also great for nymphs and small streamers.

I'm with Nick on this one. No dought what so ever, it's Hare's Mask for me. :yahoo: All I need is a hook and thread and a hares mask and I can tie a fly that will work for the occation. I use hares mask in over 80% of the flies I use.

Now add a foot to that and everything is covered!!!

Deer hair because I'm a hunter and I tan My own deer hides for my own flys. Theres just so much different types of hair on one hide that you can just about ty any fly with it. Caddis flys, Comparaduns, bomders, Nymphs, Humpies, Extended bodies, Parachutes. Name it and I'll tell you where to ty the deer hair. :D

Either bald eagle crest or wing feathers from a perrigrine falcon...

Errr... not.

I'd have to go with foam. Just love working with it.

Grey Squirral fur,I pick alot of the road and shoot the odd one, when tied in it looks like hares mask but I find it easier to get.Also like marabou,deer hair and duck flank.

At the risk of giving away my entry in the most creative category this year, I like tying with $20 bills. The greens are flashy - mimicking peacock herl - and I've found I can bring home a fish from anywhere with one...

:rolleyes:

Michael